Where'd My Ram Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares

In Runtime
I just put another memory module in this dieing system i've got. It should be up to 176mb now but it's only reading 120mb of ram.

I have in slot 1: 1x 112mb SDRAM
slot 2: 1x 64mb SDRAM

It should be reading 176mb... any ideas??

I've never installed new ram on this pc before, so its new to me. I've also never messed with clock speeds and stuff. It's an amd k6-2 chip, fsb is 100, on win98 se.

Mabe type of ram isnt the same compared to each other. Such as different manufaturer ex: kingston with crucial pc type ex: pc2100 with pc:2700. And ram type ex DDR with SDRAM. Those are the most common things wich causs problems. And what motherboard you got?

It's a crappy pcchips m598 motherboard. Both sticks are of a different brand but both are sdram.

The pc takes 168pin pc100 sdram. Both modules are 168pin pc100 Ram.

Thanks for the link. I'm downloading the program now.

cpuz didn't do anything for me. It told me i have 120mb of Ram.

I already knew that! LoL

I don't know why i posted 112mb last night. It's been a long busy weekend for me. For some reason i kept thinking/posting 112mb for the first memory stick. It's actually 128mb. The second stick is a 64mb stick (the old one i've been using for ever).

The motherboard supports well over 120mb of Ram. It has 3 dimm slots. I don't have the specifics in front of me right now... and i just woke up... don't feel like digging for them yet... but it supports something around like 700+ mb of RAM.

I'll mess with it today if i get a chance.

Well i figured out why it wasn't reading the 64mb stick. Some how it fried out once i put in the 128mb stick. The 64 mb stick is completely dead now after 6 years of usage. I guess i got my money's worth out of it, although i find it strange that it died as soon as i put in the new stick (the new stick is actually an old stick taken from another computer).

I took out the 128mb stick and put the 64mb stick back in dimm socket #1. No memory at all. So, i put the 128mb stick back in dimm #1, tried again with the 64mb on dimm#2... still reads just the one stick. So, the 64mb stick is wasted somehow.

It's still weird to me how/why the pc is still reading the 128mb stick as only 120mb. I'm still missing ram somewhere. A whole 8mbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom