Fan Stickers, any good substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

septoid2

Daemon Poster
Alright you know those stickers on the backside of your case/chipset/cpu cooler fan that basically holds the fans oil inside so it doesn't spill all over your computer components, yeah well like an idiot I ripped mine off and threw some masking tape on it instead. Bad move.

My chipset fan sucks, I have to reoil it every 4-6 months and doing so is a short simple operation but its annoying having to realize the WHIRRRING coming from your case, opening it, etc.. and putting it back together.

So last time I did this was about a week ago, I take out the fan, take off the sticker (the one that came with it) realized it wasn't sticky anymroe and thew it away, it was drenched in black oil ! So I'm like w/e I clean it up get some sewing machine oil 1-2 drops done, and im like crap wheres my sticker, oh yeah I threw it out it sucked. So thats when I used the masking tape.

Anyways fast forward to 30 mins ago when I realize the crazy whirring coming from my case. Ugh god not the fan again. I open it up, take out the chipset fan, and realize OH MY GOD the masking tape is COVERED like DRENCHED in sticky disgusting oil. I take off the tape, throw it out, and realize **** this is gross theres like sticker goop and oil everywhere. Anyways took me 10 minutes to clean it with some vinegar and a qtip and then I reoil it, and I realize crap what kind of sticker am I going to use. Not the masking tape again, so I used a little bit of scotch clear tape, cut it into a square and pasted it on, its really thin so I'm kind worried.

Anyone have any suggestions or have fun into the same problem before? this is for my CHIPSET fan btw, and MSI is super stupid with purchasing components like the chipset fan by themselves, they want you to RMA the whole **** motherboard, its retarded. Otherwise yeah I'd buy a new chipset fan, its very unorthodox the way its designed also, thats why I can't just buy another chipset fan, anyways yeah, if anyone has any solutions I'd be all ears.

As I type this I can tell the whirring is increasing, UGH GOD.

umm i have no **** clue what to do for it man, your best bet is to pick up a new fan, you talking about a chipset fan right? there should be some cheap chipset fans at local computer stores around your place. thats what i would do.

I just SAID the fan is a propreitry MSI design, its like a triangle base at differentiating angles, only MSI manufactures them and they wont sell me one individually.

Darn newfies :p:p

why dont you go to a car shop and get one of those bumper stickers...cut out the size you need to cover the fan...and see if that works ??

just an idea

Thanks harry,

Istasi I already looked into that, first off the chipset has to meet a certain height portfolio or else it'll hit my video card, second, I'm not removing my whole motherboard to change a NB heatsink.

By getting a new NB HSF, you'd essentially be killing three birds with one stone.

1) Won't whine, should be whisper quiet (the one I linked)
2) Stop the oil leaking, you won't even have to apply any at all
3) Better cooling, stock NB sinks are usually crap (there are a few exceptions)

Is it really that hard to take your mobo out? All you have to do is disconnect the wires and unscrew it. Also, I'm using the same mobo as you (mine's the Platinum edition) and that NB HSF that I listed will fit perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom