help with computer build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumping_Bean514 said:
I like the samsung dvd burner because it has light scribe and its well priced. stock for stock is the cpu you mentioned as strong as the one I picked?
how much do you know about lightscribe? it takes 20-25mins to label only 1 disc its BS your better off using a cd marker or a printer that can print on discs , also samsung drives arent so reliable , the opterons are also dual core like the x2's (their also made by amd just incase that wasnt clear) but stock to stock their slightly slower but when overclocked they will give much higher performance then an x2 as i said they overclock like a dream , if you aint gonna overclock just get an x2

Jumping_Bean514 said:
So I should keep my original Mobo and ram?
i guess you can keep the mobo its 1 of the only 3 that supports SLI X16 but as i alredy mentioned you might wanna get the ABIT AN8 32X instead. just look for reviews on google and decide which one you like best , 4gb ram is way too much i suggest youll take those 2gb i suggested in my first reply , but if your gonna overclock get this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145594

john3 said:
wait wat do u mean it doesn suport SLI?
i didnt say it doesnt support SLI it does support it but it doesnt support X16 SLI its a new better SLI and currently only 3 mobos supports it MSI K8N Diamond Plus/ABIT AN8 32X/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe , might wanna read more about it http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=212

looks pretty good, i would switch the mobo to a DFI SLI-DR, get less expensive ram like OCZ gold (around $220 for 2 gigs), and get a viewsonic VX2025 LCD instead

and with the money u save, get an x-fi extrememusic sound card and some nice klipsch speakers

MotherBoard ABIT AN8 32X ATX -- 184.99

Ram 1 -- OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin -- 194.99

Ram 2 -- OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin -- 194.99

Harddrive 1 -- Western Digital Raptor 74GB 3.5 -- 160.00

Harddrive 2 -- Western Digital Caviar RE 250GB -- 99.99

CPU -- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ -- 460.00

Graphics 1 -- eVGA Geforce 7900GT -- 319.00

Graphics 2 -- eVGA Geforce 7900GT -- 319.00

Sound -- Onboard -- 0

Optical 1 -- SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner -- 54.99

Optical 2 -- SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner -- 54.99

Case -- Thermaltake Tsunami -- 103.99

Power -- FX600-GLN ATX12V -- 139.99

Monitor -- PHILIPS 202P73/27 -- 439.99

Total -- 2726.91

Rebates -- 2596.91

Ok, IÂ’ve updated my chosen components based on your guyÂ’s comments. My friend really wants to keep the price around 2,700 but going up to 3,000 max is not a huge issue. I kept the monitor the same because my friend wants a really big, high res picture and space is not a problem, which is why I have chosen this CRT. I kept the optical drives the way there were because itÂ’s always nice in my opinion to have 2 burners. I also really like the light scribe feature and they are reasonably priced despite the Samsung name. We donÂ’t plan on over clocking this PC so having super high performance parts is not necessary, stock fast components would be better. Any comments on new parts are appreciated.

In terms of procedures this is what I think I understand.
1) Put together computer
2) Install OS
3) Install Motherboard driver (from windows? DOS? What?)
4) Install graphics cards (from windows? DOS? What?)

Is there anything else IÂ’m going to have to do? Am I going to have to fiddle with the bios at all? Any input would be great. Thanks for being patient with me guy.

forgot to tell you about the hd yesterday , the caviar RE is for raid Raid Edition i dont know how well it will work standalone might wanna take this one instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701

i still think 4gb ram is way too much and a nec dvd burner will probably last longer , and as i alredy mentioned lightscribe isnt so great 20-25mins only for 1 disc , better get some hd cooling the raptor will run hot , also might wanna get a 320gb instead of the raptor of course it wont be as fast but much more space for the price , its better to get a full tower case its much more roomy , i got a mid tower and i barely got room

as for the procedures thats correct, and from windows , as for the bios naturally youll have to set the boot order right so youll be able to boot from the windows cd and maybe also adjust some SLI settings

Oh wow, I didnÂ’t even notice the hard drive. That would have been a stupid mistake, thank you very much. As for the optical drive you convinced me to get normal ones. I have to consult with my friend to make sure that ok. What HD cooling do you recommend? IÂ’m looking at them right now and I donÂ’t know whatÂ’s good. As for cases, IÂ’m all for a full tower but I only have an extra 100$ give or take for the HD cooling and bigger case. I donÂ’t want to get a bigger one if it means less quality.

wait a minute, your getting 4GB ram? unless your gonna be using Vista OS, its useless, 2gb is good enough, dont waste your money. Windows XP uses only 3GB, so that extra GB will just sit there. and dont get 3gb either cause then you ruin the Dual Channel setup. just get 2X1gb dual channel.

Switch mobo to DFI Lanparty UT SLi-DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom