Problem Installing Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA01

Baseband Member
I have two hard drives. One HD is my primary which is 40 GB, this one has Windows XP SP2, my secondary (which is set as my slave drive) has only 20GB, I've been trying install Windows 98SE on my secondary, but when I boot up with that HD I get an error message saying "NTDLR is missing press CTRL-ALT-DELTE to restart".

Can some one tell me what this means? and how to fix this problem?

Another issue is, my pc (when purchased) did not include a floppy drive, so if a bootdisk would solve this problem, can someone tell me where I can get a Windows 98SE bootable CDROM?

I have tried searching google, but all I can find is bootdisks for floppy drives only. Any other suggestions?

If you are trying to install 98SE dont you have the disc already?

As far as i know 98SE didnt come with the Recovery Console which you could use to copy over the NTLDR to the drive. Best bet is to boot from the 98SE disc and install. Installing from XP wont work since XP is newer it wont allow it.

Makaveli213 said:
If you are trying to install 98SE dont you have the disc already?

As far as i know 98SE didnt come with the Recovery Console which you could use to copy over the NTLDR to the drive. Best bet is to boot from the 98SE disc and install. Installing from XP wont work since XP is newer it wont allow it.

not all 98 discs were bootable. some weren't

be aware you cannot install win98se onto an ntfs partition it must be fat32 otherwise its impossible , you can convert it to fat32 without data loss with partition magic/acronis disk director suite/or maybe even the windows xp builtin disk managment not sure about it , or if you dont care about data loss just delete the partition/s of it and recreate using windows disk managment , and remember its first partition or only for whatever it matters must be primary and not extended , anyway make a new folder and insert the win98 cd and explore it and copy everything to that new folder (but make sure you have "show hidden files and folders" checked on folder options first) and download cdimagegui from http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/15/ and this custom 98se bootdisk image http://hyperupload.com/download/017cc51a66/98sebdisk.ima.html (scroll bit down and look on the left)
do as shown on that cdimage page but of course change the paths,and use that 98se bootdisk image instead of boot.dat and also on label put same label that your 98 cd have , and just create the iso and burn it then boot from it after done access the cd drive (R: for first drive S: for second , which one in your case that depends on if you got only 1 optical drive and also on what comes first) anyway after you type drive letter: for example R: press enter then get into the folder of the setup which i think is ena (just have a look,also you can use \ with the cd command for example cd test1\test2) anyway access the installation folder by typing this and pressing enter afterwards
cd ena
after your in the folder type this and press enter to start windows installtion: setup
after setup restarts to continue the installation get into the bios and move the optical drive down on the boot order so it wont boot from it again

edit i suggest youll temporarly disconnect the hd with xp just to be safe , before installing 98 , and after its all installed reconnect the xp hd and use some boot manager

edit2 might wanna consider installing it using vmware , so youll be able to work with 98 from xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom