AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow can't say i've received that praise before. listen up people you are missing the point of this thread. we couldn't care less what Intel has up their sleeve. in fact i don't think one single person has phrased it constructively i.e. "conroe is around the corner and it would be better to wait for that", everyone has switched to fanboy mode rather than reasonable and objective mode. read the first post and stay on topic.

i dont think anyone has switched to "fanboy mode". i am going to wait for both and whichever is better im going to get as i said earlier on. ur taking this all wrong nite. i'm thinking the exact same way as u. i am just looking at the info i have right at this moment and going from there. and i'll keep doing that until they come out

uhhh...most of us ARE amd fans, and were ARE considering the Conroe Nitestick. We don't argue with true benchmarks, we buy em. Intel simple has never made impressive benchmarks, until now.

If Conroe was beating the FX-60 by maybe 10-20% I'd say maybe their was an error issue, but we're talking up to 40% here, and the conroe model is to cost half as much as the FX-60.

AMD still has time to develop a processor that matches the conroe in performance, but I don't see how it's even physically possible to match Intel's 65nm. Luckily for AMD, Intel's transition to 65nm with the Pentium series hardly made a difference, because the Pentiums sucked compared to the Athlons. But now the 65nm can be made valuable with Intel's new architecture. Intel just has more production power and cash to do this, and AMD will fall behind quickly if it doesn't modify it's technology again (reducing to sub-10 pipeline stages?) and/or move to 65nm.

Unless AMD has been hiding something that relates to an earlier releasal of 65nm processors, AMD will not be prepared to take Conroe on when it's released.

i don't think they will be able to reach sub-10 stage pipelining. the first athlon 64's were 10 stage pipelines i think but then they had to increase it to 12 stages as they progressed. sorry if i am coming across like a thread hitler. its just i was worried this was going to go way off track and end up as just arguing over technology rather than the real question of whether or not to wait for AM2

Your not doing much justice by talking about the debate as well though, and then saying get back on topic.

But I agree ;)

Heard off theinquirer that we can see AM2 mobo's as early as may 15th... I'm going to have my money for my upgrade by the end of this month but it'll only be 15 more days till AM2 starts showing up? I have to say it's hard to resist... it's comforting knowing that what i buy I know will be quality cause it's all been tested but hoping on the AM2 bangwagon is more future-proof.. bah technology is a pain in the as5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom