How can I read the speed of a processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofreeb

Baseband Member
Hi,

From Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&rd=1

I've bought a:

"Athlon XP 2200+ Processor

2000 MHz (rated), 1667 MHz (real)
266 MHz bus speed
Staggered organic PGA (Socket A/Socket 462)"

And at the boot up it reads:

Athlon XP 1500+

CPU real clock 1300 MHz (100x13.0) FSB 200

Are these alterable?

I bought the CPU & the motherboard together.

In the BIOS Frequency/Voltage control there is:
CPU Clock: 100
CPU Ratio: Auto

Have I been tricked or can these data change somehow?

Ofreeb

Well, the "out of the box speeds" are correct. Meaning the advertisment was for a 2200+ and the seller was aware of it's real speed. Instead you received a 1500+, and your speed indication is right on par with the actual out of the box for the 1500+. I would say either

A) The seller is purposly trying to screw you. You should atttempt to contact the seller a few times before reporting it to eBay.

B) It was an honest mistake.

The seller should be contacted either way. The CPU and speed that you are reading cannot be manually changed (besides actually OCing) but not the CPU model which, in this case, is the 1500+.

Download and run CPU-Z. If it is a Palomino, you're screwed. If it is a Thoroughbred, you're lucky, but it could still be a 1700+ only. Check the multiplier displayed in CPU-Z and multiply by 133, then you could look up the speeds for the different models and see which one it is.

Also, sometimes the BIOS on older motherboards default to 100MHz FSB, resulting in a far lower clock speed and model (eg. 1600+) indicated by Windows and the BIOS.

TheMajor said:
Download and run CPU-Z. If it is a Palomino, you're screwed. If it is a Thoroughbred, you're lucky, but it could still be a 1700+ only. Check the multiplier displayed in CPU-Z and multiply by 133, then you could look up the speeds for the different models and see which one it is.

Also, sometimes the BIOS on older motherboards default to 100MHz FSB, resulting in a far lower clock speed and model (eg. 1600+) indicated by Windows and the BIOS.

Look into what Major said. My ASUS A7N8X Deluxe was set to 100 by default. Change it to 200 and you should get a different reading. I will double check my settings when I get home and repost.

You're right Major. I finally checked my other system, an AMD 2700+, and it is set at 166 for a 333mhz proc. It was defaulted to 100 when I got it.

I did double check and the correct setting for the 2200+ is 133 for a 266mhz proc as apokalipse said.

My bad.

My motherboard also defaults to 100MHz FSB after a BIOS reset. My CPU was running @ 10.5 x 100 instead of 10.5 x 133.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom