Do I Have Ghosts I My House??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin

Baseband Member
I was standing in the room next to where my pc is at...forgetting something in the closet next to my pc I walked on into my computer room...after I grabbed what I was looking for out of the closet I turn around and notice my pc had just been turned on...reason I know this is because of the noise it makes when it has just started to boot. Curious, I look at the power button and it had definitely been turned on...so I immediately turned on the monitor to see if it was on or off or what exactly was going on...well the monitor had just finished flashing the Windows screen and was preparing to add my desktop icons...I then pulled open my Process Explorer program to see who/what/when/where and why my pc was on and who might have been probing or hacking into my pc...I have Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall and Norton Pro 2004 as my AV...The Process Explorer program didn't register ANY activity other than shadowing my moves as I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. So, with that said can anyone tell me why my pc automatically turned itself on....I have NO programs or utilities etc. scheduled whatsoever, Nothing, nada, nine...etc etc....my pc once turned off should STAY OFF until I turn my power switch to the ON position....so what gives??? Ghosts??? I am serious when I ask this....the situation has happened in the past but I never really gave it any thought since my girlfriend was over in each occassion and figured she was playing around [you know women!] anyway if anyone can ask some leading questions to help pinpoint this weird situation I would appreciate it!!!

Assassin:beard:

Maybe the ghost needed to check his/her email? lol

I had a tv that did that sometimes, a few years back. I don't discount/debunk the "paranormal". It didn't bother me much though, i'd just leave it on.

I probably would have been bothered though... if my pc kept turning on!

Having the TV turned on during the early A.M. would be a killer on ones sleeping pattern if in fact the volume was turned on...the pc is silent but it's like a theif in the night because of the butttsauce hackers....but having my pc being turned on by itself is freaking me out big time...I know it's not my girlfriend playing games...she is not here....In fact I just got off the phone with her explaining the situation to her...again... as I have had this happen to me before...as mentioned in my initial post....Freaky stuff 'aint it?? But I still would like to know if anyone has any idea as to why my pc would be turning itself on like it has been doing lately...:amazed:

Try a little experiment. That's what i'd do.

Completely disconnect the pc from it's internet connection (pull out the phone line or ethernet cable), and shut it off. Do this whenever you're not using it. If you're not on it.. just disconnect it from any outside source completely... and if it turns on... you've just isolated it to something either ON/IN the computer or IN your house!!

Great Idea!! Why didn't I think of that?? haha...I think I will disconnect the ethernet cable...much easier for me to access as opposed to my phone line!! Anyway thanks for the tip..it definitely could lead me to the root of the problem!!!! If I ever come across with the answer to the problem I will post the results here...FYI....Just in case anyone is curious....But thanks again for the tip ARES!!:D

No prob. Please do post the results here. I'd like to hear about them. I have a deep interest in such things (ghosts, the unexplained, things people label as the "paranormal").

I think it'd be better off for you if it turns out being a ghost and not some hacker! lol

;)

ghosts-s-s-s-s....rii-i-i-i-iight. if this is a fairly new computer the motherboard could have a wake-up-by-alarm feature. also for PCI and integrated network cards they have PCI standby power. when a magic packet is sent with the network card's MAC address it tells the computer to wake.

i dont think neither of these are the main causes, but they could be part of it. i beleive your problem lies in a power supply that is fualty or your motherboard is faulty. maybe a glitchy network card is causing it to wake up as if magic packet was sent to it.

when you say you have to flick a switch....what computer do you have? a 486/386? you should not use the power switch on power supply to turn on the computer. use the power button on the front, never turn off the switch in back. think logically about your problem....there is no such things as ghosts silly :eek:

Have any pets? If so...check your bios for a setting that allows you to power the PC with a keyboard stroke, mouse movement, click..ect and make sure it's disabled. I had mine set to a mouse movement...and found out my cat would activate that sucker....while playing on my computer desktop.

Yeh, damn pets.

pic23986.gif

In reply to ekÆsine for his "silly" remark, My pc is 2 years old Running an upgraded Dell with a Pent. 4 procc. with HT 3.2GHz w/800MHz FSB and 2GB dual channel DDR SDRAM 400MHz and a relatively small 250G hard drive using Windows XP as my OS. When I said that I turn ON my pc using a switch I was being general I should have said "Power button" which is located on the front of the case. When I turn my pc OFF I have it set up so that I hit a small icon on my desktop...no need to fumble to "start" "turn of computer" and then select "turn off". At this point I believe all of your attempts to locate the problem are washed out...Including the assumption of "pets" interacting with my mouse etc...I have NO pets. Determination of the cause of my pc turning on automatically is still a mystery......:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom