Ping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowedLazz

Beta member
Hey guys,

I live in wellingtion (new zealand), am with paradise (isp) and on 2meg/2meg plan.

The problem started around 2 weeks ago? When i was still on my 256/128 plan. So changing to cable didn't casue the prob.

I get around 150 ping in css servers (used to be around 20). And people see me teleporting all over the place. So i'm laggin' badly.

I get the lag on our 2nd comp (client) (as we have two computers networked together using the "direct conection " method (no router)

On the first comp (host) (one with the modem) I type ping www.trademe.co.nz in the command prompt. I get an average ping of 24ms.

On my second PC (the one with ping issues) i do that same thing, and get 187 ms :(

This connection had been working great... I didn't change any settings or install any new programes... (i think)

Oh, download / upload speeds are fine on both comps too o_O

I think it has something to do with my router? I use an Motorola SB4200 SURFboard cable modem

Any one got any ideas? This is driving me crazy! :p

[edit] Both computers' are using windows xp pro.

Hmm yeh I tryed it with the firewalls off an it didn't work.

Yar ive emailed my isp and see what they say.

I heard that getting a router should fix the problem?

Oh I also was downloading file... and opened up this different TCP port... Could that of been the problem? T think i changed it back...

I went to www.speedtest.co.nz

The speeds are around the same on both computers o_O

And I also tested the upload speeds and they are the same.

This is very werid. Ive been searching for hours on how to fix it... Can't really find any thing.

Oh and ive downloaded different files (on the client computer) and the download speds are fine.

So you only lag when you're playing counter strike? Scan for any spywares? When you first start the computer up do a netstat in command prompt to see any unusual ports open. Try to switch your NIC card with a better one, perhap the good one on the other machine. Sometime the problem can be with the cables themselve too.

My suggest would stay away from ICS and get a router. It might solve your problem.

No, I lag in all games.

I also test the lag using the command prompt against other sites.... The ping is really high... Compared with the host computer.

Also download / upload speeds are fine on both computers

Scanned both comps for spyware / viruses.

I'll try that netstat thing now. I also think there are a lot of random ports that have been opened...

Cheers guys

nitestick said:
i can't believe i missed that you were using ICS. that would be the reason for the high ping.

O reallly? Yeah someone on these other forums said that too.

Hmm, but it's strange.... It's worked for well over 2 years with no lag at all like this...

So will I need to get a cable router?

this one?

Ant thing else I need to buy?

Thanks people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom