What is RAID?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
Can somebody please explain RAID for me? I saw a few posts on whether their rig would be faster with it, but I'm still not clear on when to use it...thanks ahead of time.

raid is basically two or more HDs working together to either: become 1 big drive (ex, 2X250gb = 500gb drive) This is called RAID 0. There is also RAID 1 that is 1 drive as a backup of another drive (ex 2 250gb drives, 1 is a copy of the other).

RAID is when you have 2 hard drives mirror each other...

for example if you have 2 150 GB hard drives, it will run much faster then say a 300 GB drive. With RAID 1, the hard drive copy each other , but the downside is if one hard drive dies, well say good bye to both of em...

most common use of raid is small drive with huge drive for storage....
EX.
74 GB SATA 10 K RPM raptor drive for OS and Games.
250 GB SATA 7200 RPM drive for evreything else:)

Il let someone else explain what RAID 1 is or RAID 1/0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

In short, You can Use many Separate Harddrives As one or Duplicate Harddrives.

The two most common RAIDS are RAID 0 (Stripping) and RAID 1 (Mirroing).

RAID 0 Splits half the data between two or more drives.
RAID 1 Duplicates the Data onto two or more Drives.

There are MANY differen't Levels/Types of RAID which are all explained in the Link I provided at the top of Post.

If you want to know all the correct terms and information on RAID, I suggest you read the ENTIRE article.

Perfect...thanks everybody. I'm trying to get a performance boost in my games and it's come to my attention lately that it may be my hard drive slowing it down. but I also thought I took care of that problem with more RAM. See the sig below.

yeah i don't think there's much more that you can upgrade. i'm not familiar with ATIs so i dunno if thats a good card or not, but 2gb is more than enough, and i dunno how much a faster HD will help. I've heard raid isn't much of a performance increase though.

you can Defragment your Harddrive and cut down On running processes to increase preformence.

You can stop unneeded programs from starting up through msconfig.

Also make sure you don't have any viruses/trojans or Spyware.

Ste said:
you can Defragment your Harddrive and cut down On running processes to increase preformence.

You can stop unneeded programs from starting up through msconfig.

Also make sure you don't have any viruses/trojans or Spyware.

I've done all of that many many times. Any other ideas?

Ste said:
There are MANY differen't Levels/Types of RAID which are all explained in the Link I provided at the top of Post.

If you want to know all the correct terms and information on RAID, I suggest you read the ENTIRE article.
*curls up in fetal position, shaking* "I just wanted raid, mommy, make the bad man go away!" *cry*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom