Stripped out screw on DVD drive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hi, I am building a new system and bought a new case and my DVD drive in my old case has a stripped out screw and I can't remove it. I'm not really sure what to do here. Any suggestions besides getting a drill and trying to drill out the top part of the screw? It was a phillips screw and has a perfectly stripped out hole in the center.

Thanks for the help, I don't want to break or damage anything and hoping someone knows a trick to help out.

there's various sprays that can loose screws, wd-40 for example , also try this: use a small flat screwdriver try to pull it out just a bit and at the same time use a philips screwdriver to unscrew it

I mean the screw is stripped out so bad I can even get a straight or phillips screwdriver into it. It's just a big hole in the center of it. I was debating just doing a drilling motion with a sharp phillips screwdriver to see if I could dig enough of the metal out to break the screw.

Any other simpler ideas?

dont use brute force :S I did that with a screw for my graphics card it slamed into my mobo and knocked 2 lil things off its circuit board, It still works mind :).

can you get behind the screw to hit it from the other side or is it completly in the drive bay?

Could try grabbing it with some plyers?
If you dont want your old case, like if it's a heap, and you're only gonna chuck it out, then i suggest cutting the bay out of the case, and cutting the metal from around the drive, then get the screw out using plyers or even just bending the metall off, if the screws in long hole in the bay, like as opposed to the single holes, then i think you could bend the metal off no probs, if its in a single hole still i think it could work.

got an idea not sure how good it will work , engineer a special screwdriver i mean take a small screwdriver put a bit of superglue on its tip and put it into that "big hole" then add a bit more superglue around it and hold the screwdriver til it will dry out (find some strong superglue that dries fast) once its dry try to unscrew it , dont put the screwdriver too deep and dont use too much superglue ,you dont wanna put superglue on the actual screw hole of the drive

Try what IGeMex suggested!

:D
hotheadlg.gif

I think the best bet (and probably easiest) attempt would be to take a pair of pliers and grip the edges of the screw and try to un-screw it.... If you have a friend with you, have a friend hold the case, and try to grip the screw and turn the case around it.. LOL

It's a rounded screw head and I can't even move it with pliers. I may take my motherboard out of the case and try to drill through it or something. What a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom