operating system not found - Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

QCute

Beta member
Everything has no problem before. But when my pc was booted up next time, it had a message "operating system not found". This is a IBM PC with Windows Millennium Edition.

When I boot-up with boot disk in A: It appear that --->

There are several possible causes.

1. The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a partition on the drive run fdisk from the MS Dos prompt.

2. You may be using third party disk partition...

3. Some viruses also cause your drive C to not register. You can use a virus scanning program to check your computer for viruses.

In the CMOS setup, no hard drive can detect (Since I use the auto-dectect function), only CDrom & floppy drive can be detect!

When I try to use fdisk, "no fix drive are found!!"

What I can do?

maybe ur hdd took a poo, prolly bios tho, can u manually enter the data for hdd instead of it auto detecting it or maybe try resetting or updating the bios and making sure all cables going to ur hdd r connected and seated fully and try unconnecting and reconnecting in case a bad connection altho that would b kinda weird since its worked this long<--i would this do first and of course it could also b virus, and get rid of winblows me, u will b much happier with 2000 or xp, could b a bad power supply too and one last thing if u have access to another computer i would try putting that hdd in it and seein if the other computer will boot off it but making sure the bios setting are correct for that drive

somethings that I pulled off my online training class...

Operating System Disk Drive Problems
The problems listed below occur when the operating system has, for some reason, become inaccessible.

The computer will boot up to a system disk in the A: drive but not to the HDD. This indicates that the system files on the HDD are missing, or have become corrupt.

A No Boot Record Found message (also appears as a Non-system Disk, a Disk Error, or an Invalid System Disk message). These messages all indicate that the system boot files are not located in the root directory of the drive.

A Missing Operating System, Hard Drive Boot Failure, or Invalid Drive message. These messages all indicate that the disk's master boot record is missing or has become corrupt.

A Current Drive No Longer Valid message. This indicates that the HDD's CMOS configuration information is incorrect or has become corrupt.

I've try to replace anther HD (which can work from other PC), but still, the CMOS can't detect it and the same message "Operating system not found".

Also, I've tried to (1). load the default setting in the bios and (2). make sure that all the connection are proper, and (3). type the HD config from USER, (4). change the connection from CDROM to HD, the HD still disappear and cannot be detected.

What any thing I can do?
How I can reflash the bios setting instead of loading the default?
How I can check that if there are any boot record virus?

Please use auto ! eek

neversleeps said:
maybe ur hdd took a poo, prolly bios tho, can u manually enter the data for hdd instead of it auto detecting it or maybe try resetting or updating the bios and making sure all cables going to ur hdd r connected and seated fully and try unconnecting and reconnecting in case a bad connection altho that would b kinda weird since its worked this long<--i would this do first and of course it could also b virus, and get rid of winblows me, u will b much happier with 2000 or xp, could b a bad power supply too and one last thing if u have access to another computer i would try putting that hdd in it and seein if the other computer will boot off it but making sure the bios setting are correct for that drive

Sorry but

QCute said:
I've try to replace anther HD (which can work from other PC), but still, the CMOS can't detect it and the same message "Operating system not found".

Also, I've tried to (1). load the default setting in the bios and (2). make sure that all the connection are proper, and (3). type the HD config from USER, (4). change the connection from CDROM to HD, the HD still disappear and cannot be detected.

What any thing I can do?
How I can reflash the bios setting instead of loading the default?
How I can check that if there are any boot record virus?

You moved too fast and made too many changes too quick.
If you have a proper "system Disk"not boot disk you should be able to type A: fdisk
You must get an A: prompt don't you " Read this disk on this PC and reveal hidden files,is fdisk there ?
Your Bios settings where probably set by a tech.Don't mess with them,it may be too late.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom