Small LCD screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kheddar

Beta member
I'm looking for a manufacturer of LCD VGA flat panel monitors < 10 inches.

Or if anyone knows of a way to modify an LCD screen of another product (portable DVD player, etc.) to accept a VGA signal, that would work as well.

For those interested, I am building a small computer system that has a built in screen that can accept resolutions up to 1024x768. Closest thing you can get to before entering the world of Laptops.

Any insight appreciated.

*EDIT*

Actually, why couldn't I purchase a broken Laptop and rip the screen from it (like this)? They use VGA signals (right?). However, my knowledge of displays is nill (I spend most of my time inside the box). What specifications do I need to have a screen that does not 'blur' in movement (the drag effect you get when you play a fast paced game, making it very hard to see).

Thanks again for any help.

*EDIT*
New stuff in my research... anything I find says it isn't worth the trouble because of the different interfaces of LCD and CRT outputs. But, isn't that what a flat panel LCD monitor is? If I had a spare one of those, couldn't I rig up something?

I am sure there are some tools around to change a display's resolution to 640x480 (VGA resolution) either using DVI or analog signal. But I don't see the point in what you are trying to build, because Microsoft will release Origami soon.
If you want to use a regular LCD monitor you could get a 15" model, but it would still result in a big device because you cannot cut away parts of teh screen.

I am sure they sell small 10" screens somewhere, though, which is exactly what you are looking for, but 1024x768 (native res) will be hard to find I guess. Would probably be more like 800x600 native, but bigger resolution should still be possible (using interpolation, like Microsoft's Origami do)

c212c3e370da6ec3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom