PC Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck Man

Beta member
Hey, new to the forum; I've got a Dell Dimension 4300S that I bought in 2001; it's got a 256mb RAM, a pentium 4 1.6ghz processor, and a 40gb hard drive. I really want to upgrade; I've had no real problems so far, it's just a little slow. I use it mainly for internet, music, and photos. I don't do much gaming anymore. I would like to add a DVD player/recorder; my current graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 5200 FX.
My question is, for the money, what's the best upgrade for my situation? From what I read, an increase in RAM would be the best bet, but I wanted to get your opinions. Thanks.

The hard drive upgrade is dependant on wether or not you use over 40gb's though, but it depends on what you need. Doing anything with movies needs too much space, as you need twice as much as what the moive is in size to do anything.

1gb is pointless IMO for windows unless you are using any high demanding applications, in which case it would be defiantly worth it.

Do a format to improve general speed.

IMO, get the 1GB ram. RAM is the cheapest upgrade, and will make your system run better than adding anything else.

The hard drive should be doubled to 80GB, because each DVD takes up 5 GB, and it gets filled up pretty fast.

The video card is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom