Unreadable Hard Drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaroncohn

Solid State Member
I have an almost brand new SATA drive that, until recently, has been working great. I am using it as my secondary drive, and when I reformatted my primary drive, windows reported that my SATA disk is no longer readable. I can see it in device manager, but it has no drive letter assigned to it. When I look at the status of the device under its properties, I see the word "unreadable." I'm assuming this is why it has no drive letter assigned to it, but I did not format that drive or change it in any way, and I am all but certain it is uncorrupted. How do I access the data on the drive? (it is a dynamic disk, not a basic disk)

go into safemode or try to hook up your hdd with another computer and see if you can read it from there. Is there anyway that you can back up your hdd using a software?

I plugged the drive into a different SATA compatible computer, but that computer couldn't read it either. I suspect something has happened to the drive, but I don't know what caused it or when it happened. It all started this morning when my computer failed to get past the windows xp loading screen. The progress bar just kept going and going until I restarted the system. I haven't tried loading it in safe mode, but I don't think that would accomplish anything. I don't know of any software that can backup a hard drive that doesn't have any recognizable file system.

Try to wait for like 10-15 min for it load, if it doesnt load then you should try go into safemode and burn all your data to dvd's or cd's. If the safe mode doesnt work then you just have to reformat your HDD.

Thanks for the replies, buddy. I am thinking about sending it to a data recovery center so they can pull my stuff off of it. I had a LOT of good stuff on there that isn't really backed up... so yeah. Thanks anyways, dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom