New to all this, and have questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldGeezer

Beta member
I recently got a used Dell C600 laptop from Ebay. It came with Windows 2000 professional installed . I am looking for a cdrw drive so as to be able to transfer data to CD's. I would like to make a copy of my operating system so that if I ever need to reload windows, I will be able to do so.

Since I have no original discs of the system, will I be able to do the above mentioned senario?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

You cant copy your operating system off of your computer. You will need a Windows disk or the restore disk for your computer. You may be able to get one from Dell.

wasisnt said:
You cant copy your operating system off of your computer. You will need a Windows disk or the restore disk for your computer. You may be able to get one from Dell.

pc world once explain a way to do it, but I can't find the link

pc world once describe a way of copying certain folders of your computer to reinstall windows without a disc

found it. how to install xp without the disc

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,122487,findid,51120,00.asp

My new laptop came with a recovery disc but not with a stand-alone Windows XP CD. What can I do?

Advertisement

Abdul Hamid, Denver

Microsoft requires that every PC bundled with Windows provide some way of restoring the operating system, but too many bundled Windows XP "restore" CDs merely return your hard drive to its factory condition, which wipes out all of your data and any apps you've added.

Fortunately, vendors appear to be moving away from these data-wiping recovery discs. I recently looked at new PCs from ABS, Dell, Gateway, Lenovo, and WinBook, all of which came with either a real Windows XP CD or another way to perform nondestructive OS reinstalls.

If your PC lacks a Windows CD, a folder named 'i386' containing the Windows installation files is probably in the root directory of drive C: or in your C:\Windows folder. Your system may have several i386 folders, but the one you want has a lot of files with extensions ending in underscores (_), along with the executable files expand.exe, regedit.exe, and winnt32.exe. Copy this folder onto a CD for safekeeping, though you'll use the version on the hard drive to actually reinstall Windows.

Keep your 25-character Windows Product Key handy--you'll need it to reinstall the OS. The number is on the back of your PC, on the bottom of your notebook, or in some other hard-to-read spot; it may be listed in the documentation as well.

You'll also need a bootable CD for starting the install process. Bart Lagerweij's free PE Builder creates a CD-bootable version of XP called Bart's Pre-install Environment, or BartPE, from either a Windows CD or the i386 folder. Click here to download PE Builder.

Open PE Builder's main dialog box and select the folder or drive containing your i386 folder, but not the folder itself. Check Create ISO image, click Burn to CD, and select your CD-RW drive from the Device drop-down menu. If PE Builder doesn't support your burner, double-click the PE Builder--created .iso file to launch your CD authoring program and burn the CD.

To reinstall Windows, boot from the BartPE CD you just created and select Go, Programs, A43 File Management Utility (see Figure 1). Navigate to the hard drive's i386 folder (do not use the i386 folder on the CD). Double-click winnt32.exe to start the installation process. When the installation program closes, reboot your PC, remove the CD, and select Microsoft Windows XP Setup from the resulting boot menu. The installation will pick up where it left off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom