CPU choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah. I think gettin the 4400 will be better the opteron cos i can oc to 4800 which is meant to be very good.is the only difference between 4400 and 4800 just the 200Mhz?

Yes you can

I own one and I have done this. I feel I could go higher yet but I haven't spent large amounts of money on good CPU cooling.

I feel this may help you decide.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88292

Thats a recent opteron that you may recieve if you order one.
An X2 4800 is 2.4ghz stock. an FX-60 is 2.6 stock. With appropriate cooling you can hit upto 2.8 easy. an opteron 165 will get you to 4800 stock speeds flawlessly. Its just a decision between Overclocking and Not overclocking. You may not know how to now, but you will want to know later on. an Opteron is my recommendation although recommendations differ. I predict with a recent stepping and better cooling like a big Typhoon, you can hit 2.8+ with opteron 165.

both of these are good for gaming.... and i wouldnt overclock with out a good cpu cooler like BLUorb or Big Typhoon... just to b safe

The opteron is exactly the same as the X2's as far as gaming is concerned.
The Opteron stock air cooler is fantastic with the heatpipes etc, you can reach 2.6GHZ on the stock cooler, depending on your ambience temps (the temps surrounding your PC case, and in your case)
You really should get the Opteron. It is better than the X2 because of the OC ability and Stability. Remember these are Server Chips so they can take the huge loads.

Yeah but im not going to be using "huge loads" i just want something that will be quite fast. And be able to run games like UT2007 and others to come. The 4400 is also slightly cheaper than the opteron

Im not suggesting your going to be running servers, I dont run servers, I play games, and Opterons are better and faster for me as they can OC to 2.6+ which will be very nice for UT2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom