How Do I Protect *.txt files from Deletion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelz

Solid State Member
Hi,

Is there a way of protecting .txt files from being deleted but still allowing them to be edited? I realise that you could still edit a file's content to the point of virtual deletion but that requies deliberate action whereas a file can be accidentally deleted quite easily, and if it's on a server it's gone for good, barring the previous scheduled backup.
Any ideas appreciated.

Well the simple answer is no. Basically make sure they people know not to delete them. That is the only thing you can do. Nothing is safe from being deleted. Unless it is in use and even then it can be force deleted.

Hmm..... I was afraid of that.
I guess I could get my VB to write/append the file to 2 places. (One unseen) This is probably the easier option.

Thanks for the reply.

Makaveli213 said:
Nothing is safe from being deleted.

on ntfs filesystem, you can set the the file permissions to read and write only.

Write
This allows the user or group to overwrite the file, change its attributes, view its ownership, and view the permissions set.

only an admin can override file permissions.

The modify file permission allows Write + the ability to delete.

I was thinking the same thing as csamuels. If you dont give the users modify or full control permissions but only write then that may work. Assuming you are on a NTFS volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom