XP Error driving me nutz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a repair install yes. For a reinstall only if you have your own Serial # that you are using.

Bosox3 said:
I ended up getting this error:
missing or corrupt windows\system32\config\system

it says to insert the original boot disc and repair....
My l337 techie translation guide says this means: "Insert the original boot disk and repair the installation." Further research may be needed, though.

Bosox3 said:
but I bought this computer with xp pro already installed on it..so I dont have this boot disc.
That's BS. If you didn't get a CD and license, whoever sold it to you ripped you off and sold you an illegal copy of Windows.

If this is a PC from a major manufacturer (like Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc), you either threw out your disk with the box, or there is a recovery partition on the machine.

Either way, you should know that software like Windows has a license. If you got a PC and didn't get a license and/or CD for Windows, you should have immediately been on the horn to the dealer about it. Now you're stuck without a CD, and Microsoft isn't going to help you easily.

Bosox3 said:
is there another way?
Sure. Format C:

Or go buy Windows.

haha..ouch! its not sounding too good for me.
I have windows xp pro on my system...but If I can get my hands on a xp home cd...would that work for the repair?

Im asking around as we speak to the guys I work with..hopefully somebody has a disc.

thanks for all your help

A XP Home disc will not work with a XP Pro install. So unless you can get your hands on a XP Pro disc i hope you still have documentation of the PC sale. That way you can call the people you got it from and get a XP Disc,

ok..I tried using another copy of xp pro..some guy gave me a copy of it from work...
I restarted my computer and still nothing..
it still says to put in my xp setup disk....so do I need to find a bootable disk? Im lost on what to do here.

Check your BIOS Settings and make sure that they are set to boot from CD before your Hard Drive. That way it can recognize the XP CD and boot from that.

I checked and it is set to boot from the cd 1st..it just wont boot.
I dont think the cd he gave me is bootable..Would I be able to use the xp pro boot disks to atleast get to my windows screen?
I think there is something like 6 of them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom