Why Partition a HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for all the replies guys. my biggest problem with partitions is that if i run out of space on one, what do i do? you guys are saying that i can use a third party program to re-partition? also, i'm assuming that i can partition RAID 0 drives also, is that correct?

I don't know about RAID, but I guess you can.
If you run out of space on one partition you can resize it using third party software like Partition Magic, but I recommend always making a backup before doing heavy modification.

hmm, ok. and someone here said that you can make a backup of a partition on another partition, do you do that through partition magic?

You can copy partition with Partition Magic. You could also use software like V2i Protector, Drive Image or Ghost to create an image of a partition. Most of these programs also support scheduling. I know V2i Protector does, don't know about the others.
I use V2i Protector to create images of my server partition. It creates an image every saturday at 3 am.

I used to use partitions, but every drive I had them setup on died. So I no longer use them. Could be they were Maxtor drives (about 5 years ago) but I just don't trust them.

bryan64 said:
I used to use partitions, but every drive I had them setup on died. So I no longer use them. Could be they were Maxtor drives (about 5 years ago) but I just don't trust them.

Probably died because of the bad disks. Not because of the partitions.

I already installed the OS on my computer, and I dont want to reformat my drive and reinstall windows.

Is there anyway to partrition my HDD without wiping out all the data on it and reinstalling windows?

ulater6000 said:
I already installed the OS on my computer, and I dont want to reformat my drive and reinstall windows.

Is there anyway to partrition my HDD without wiping out all the data on it and reinstalling windows?

Partition Magic. But it is risky. Important stuff should be copied to DVD or other hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom