Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curry Viking

Baseband Member
Hey

I know how Raid 0 works, but i've heard you don't get that much of a difference using it. My brother told me there isn't any noticable speed difference, is this true? Do you think raid 0 is worth it? Considering i'll be raiding two SATA II 200gb hd's and i also have a spare 200gb ide hd for backup.

I feel it's not worth it. Raid 0, by definition, isn't even a true Raid array configuration in my opinion. "Redundant Array of Independent Disks". Raid 0 is in no way redundant until it couples with 1 for a Raid 0+1 array.
So, no....it's a complete waste of time and money.

Edit: I thought that I threw in a remark about speed, but clearly that wasn't the case.
The speed increase on the 2 drives indicated in your sig, honestly, just further proves Raid 0 to be a waste of time. You won't notice that much of a difference (if any at all). If you do notice a difference then the difference definatly will not be worth wasting a 250gb seagate for....which is essentially what you are doing. Again....just my opinion.

if you have 2 200gb hds, i would raid them unless you want them all as separate drives. there might not be a speed increase but you'll have 400gb of space.

I had dual 200gb SATA 7200 rpm hard drives in Raid 0 and I did not notice the massive speed boost I was looking for.... I wish now I would have bought a single 10,000 rpm raptor instead; I wonder when western digital will start selling a SATA II version of the raptor?

hmmmm....That really puts me in a hard place I guess...check my sig. A single 500 would be big $$$$

you will only notice a significant difference in raid O if you are using 10k rpm drives. 7200rpm drives will not give you a great amount of a performance boost

i would tend to think that your memory would help more in that situation, but looking at ur sig, i would go with the raid 0. you are still getting a boost for the same storage room if unraided.

well if raid 0 wasn't worth it, then I might jsut down grade to a single 320 or 400 hdd.

The 250s are only like 7 buck more than the 160s so raid 0 would be a bit of bargain for the 250s. However A single 320 would cost me about 50 bucks less than two 250s... or 36 buck less than two 160s.

then, why not go for the raid?? i mean its 180gigs more performing better for only $50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom