need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocftbll30

Solid State Member
i just need some general advice from people who have been there, done that. im finishing up my first build and im going to be firing it up pretty soon. i cant wait but i need some advice on what i should expect to go wrong or how to fix little things whether it be software, hardware, or case related. any advice would help alot. thanks all.
wes

first, check all ATX power connections if it doesnt POST. then, if durring the windows installation you get BSOD, check your ram voltage. but its pretty smooth from there. it took me two hours to get mine up and running.

~jack

If you are setting up a raid dont forget to press (i forget which button) when the windows installer is loading up in the biginning, it will say at the bottom of the screen press (F8 i think it is) for RAID support or something link that. Oh, and it has to be at least xp SP1 to install the fresh install on a SATA drive. otherwise it doesn't reconize it.

So long as you were smart and hooked everything up right you should have no problems. The only thing that screwed me up once was I hooked up front audio cable when I shouldn't have and so I had no audio for a while but no biggie.

Once you start the system for the first time it should beeb at you once. If it beebs at you more than once or not at all you have a problem and its time to double check everything and read the motherboard manual.

If it starts ok press the delete key to get into BIOS and there you can check to make sure that your motherboard "sees" all your drives. You can also set the system clock and make sure the CPU clock and bus speeds are correct. If all is good then just insert the Windows cd, save and exit the BIOS, and follow the instructions after the system reboots itself.

make sure that as soon as you turn on your computer, you watch to see if the heatsink fan is spinning. if it doesn't start spinning, unplug your computer immediately.

Not necessarily. The HSF may be set to come on only after the CPU warmes to X temp. If when you first turn on the computer the HSF spins for like 2 seconds and then stops, it's probably just set to turn on at X temp and everything is fine. If the fan never even flinches when you turn on the PC, double check your connections.

Mine didn't. It just started spinning for like 3-4 seconds and then stopped. Then after the CPU warmed up a little the fan started spinning again. This was the first time I booted the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom