Hello Im new and need feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightangel

Beta member
Hello guys Im new around. I really would like your feedback if you really can give it to me.

Okay I dream to have a computer job and Im trying to do my best to find one but I have had no success and therefore I would like to see if I can get some suggestions and what I could possibly do.
So a little about me. I am a graduated microbiologist. While I was in college I didnt knew computers so never knew I was going to like them as much and then whe I did I was about to graduate so it was not like I was going to switch. I have been hooked to computers ever since I discovered them. Upon my graduation I worked as microbiologist and then as a chemist where i was permanently hired. My inclination towards computers was too strong so I thought about going back to school again and then went and did a master's degree in Computer Information Systems which Im proud of. Ever since I have been trying to find my dreamed computer job. But it really seems I wasted my time cause nobody wants to give me a first chance. Because I make much money as chemist (which I utterly hate my job and makes my life miserable) nobody see I could possibly desire a lower paying job in computers. Also because of the lack of experience I dont have chances either. I really dont care about the money because Im going to marry a wealthy man and all I want is to be happy in a job I truly enjoy (i would like to keep working). Im willing to go back to school again and take whatever course I have to take if that will lead me to have a computer job. What do you guys think I should do? Would you guys think if I go be microsoft certified I could get something or cisco certified? I will truly appreciate your feedback.

-Mari

Hi Mari, I've looked at quite a few computer-related job postings, and a lot of them have at least one of two requirements. These are the MSCE certification (the microsoft one you mentioned) or A+ certification. I think both of these are really good ideas to have if you are looking to get started in the computer industry. CCNA is a really good one if you want to learn more about Cisco computer networks, and not so much on the actual computer itself.

welcome to TF!... I am currently doing my Masters in Computing after doing a non computer related degree... so will be in the same position as yourself soon... from what other people I know have done all i can say is keep applying to all the computer jobs that are of the sort you want and just stick at it... also make sure your CV informs them of exactly what you can do on a computer... best of luck!

I will check again on that of the MCSE. I have thought about this before but hasnt be sure if that would really help considering I already have the masters which is a more formal education. I thought better about being certified in computer auditing but you must have a job related to accounting for that. Cisco havent considered much because Im more database oriented than network oriented. And again I dont see come I could pass a cisco test when I have no computer exposure aside from my laptop at home. I have thought now about perhaps specializing in clinical informatics. Sounds like a fit for me giving my biological background. The most assertive alternative which is my only choice is trying to get the IT job through the back door. That is being hired as chemist and because intern employees have priority I can work my out to IT as they cannt denny the opportunity. But the problem I have is that I currently work in small company where there is no IT department. So I will have to get a chemist job in a bigger company with IT to work the way up again and this takes years so thats what Im trying to avoid. Its very frustating. I have thought at times to forget my dream and just be happy that Im healthy but so many people tells me I should not give up my dream. Thanks for the feedback please keep them comming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom