3.2 to 3.7 OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
Hello all, here is my current situation.

CPU: Pentium 4 540 - 3.2 GhZ with 1MB L2 Cache
Motherboard: Asus P5P800

I steadily overclocked my 3.2 higher and higher. (Btw, I could only up my FSB becasue the multiplier is locked.)

I clocked it to the point where it was 3.732 (about) GhZ. The idle temperature was 53 and then my computer just shut down. Now, I know 3.7 is a REALLY high OC but I am wondering why it shut down. The voltage was fine because I was looking at my stats right when it shut down. Voltage was at about 1.46 and the temp was at about 53-55.

The question is why did my PC shut down?

Now I open my Everest Home Edition program and I can NO LONGER view my FBS speed on there.
Then when I go to sensors I can't view my Mobo or CPU temperatures. Did I blow my sensors and why is this happening?

thanks.

The reason it shut down is cos of ur psu. u will need more power if u want to keep that speed. wat psu u got? my pc turned off when i oced my gfx on my old pc so i no this is the reason. duno bout the sensors.

Were you upping the vCORE while you were overclocking? If not raise the vCORE or drop the FSB. It sounds like it is unstable.

I dont know why it would not show the FSB though, have you tried cpu-z?

nvm probably some bug. How do I raise the vcore?

I have a 300W, really small. Stupid vendor gave me the wrong PSU.

There ya go. What else do you have in your system? Like how many fans, hdd's, what type of video card...

LOL! 53c idle?! That's insane! I don't even get that hot full load! BTW, 3.2 to 3.7 is not a very big overclock. I have my 165 overclocked from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz. It could go higher, but it gets to hot, I would need water cooling. Not only was your CPU way to hot, but the PSU was also way to weak.

PSU. 300W wont do. you want to get at least 500w or more. and u need some after market CPU heatsink/fan. or mb ur ram cant hundle that much FSB if u r not using ram divider.

boomstick666 said:
PSU. 300W wont do. you want to get at least 500w or more. and u need some after market CPU heatsink/fan. or mb ur ram cant hundle that much FSB if u r not using ram divider.

Maybe 500watts max a 450w would do fine unless you have a huge Video card.

Hey. Yea you're right 50 idle is TOO HOT.
But this is the weird thing, when my P4 540 is idle, I'm at 46-49 temps?

Also, you must have probably had an AMD to overclock from 1.8 to 2.8 thats insane.

Full load will go up to 60 and sometimes just 61 or 62.
I'm using the stock heatsink and i made sure its secure.

Heres what I got (hehe it'll make me look silly :p)
1 dvd rw drive
1 cdrw drive
1 80 gb
1 20 gb
1 vid
1 sound
1 network
1 case fan

LOL.

Btw, how do you adjust vcore?
And my 5.0v , the number is higher than 5.

pfff... I've got a ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe & P4 3.4 Ghz. My CPU never gets any lower then 45C at idle with a Zalman 7000 & a good case with good air circulation. During heavy load it reaches about 55C to 60C.

I've attemped to Overclock this before and haven't had great results. The highest i've been was 3.76Ghz stable. Anything higher then that and I would get restarts. I also tried uping VCORE but same results. Also, load temps would reach 65C to 70C. A tad too hot for me.

I'm not as knowledgeable in (OCing) as many are here, but I'd say that even though intels offer higher overclocks, I'd say you need something more efficient then "Aircooling" to achieve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom