Computer won't start anymore after closing it with Power Supply Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigol

Beta member
Here is my story,

First off all I am building computers for a couple of years now and I know what I am doing, but This problem arrived the other day after changing my case. 2 Days Ago I bought A new Case and a new Burner for my Computer.
I unintalled everything and installed it in my new Case. I plugged everything back up and was on my computer again without any problems.

I used the reset button, but it was behaving oddly, the computer was still running but the monitor turned itself off. So I though that maybe I had installed the reset Switch the wrong way. I couldn't stop it anymore so I closed it with the Power Supply Switch. So I opened my case to see if everything was ok, Everything was as it was supposed to be. I played with the connectors a little bit to make sure they were well connected. I tried running the computers again, but it wouldn't start. It didin't make a noise, no fan running, no BIOS, nothing. I was very afraid to have killed my Power Supply or MOBO by closing it the wrong way.

I though that maybe it was just the power button of my new case that was the problem, so I connected the Reset Switch connector in the Power Switch. I tried turning it on and it worked. I was very releaved that it was just that problem. So I left it opened all night and went to work, I also accesed my computer remotely from work almost all day. But Last night when I finally came home the computer was closed, I though it was weird but opened it again and went to see a couple of things on the net. Went out for 30 min max with my GirlFriend. When I came back the computer was closed again and it wouldn't start again like it did the day before.

So I opened it again checking the reset and power switch button, But now any of the 2 didn't work anymore. I thought that it couldn't be the PSU or MOBO because last night I was able to get it back up by switching the Power and Reset switch.

I started to unhook every power cable from HD to CD and floppy, even the case fan. Nothing. Took out the Sound card and Video Capture Card, Nothing. Unhooked the HD and DVD Burner and floppy. Nothing. Took out the Video Card. I also plugged out and plugged back in the Mother board and CPU Power connector from the PSU, to be sure that they were well connected. Nothing happened. I even took out the Front of the case to look at the Power Button, They looked ok, but I am no expert in that. I also took the MOBO battery out to clear the BIOS.

Now my computer is dead, I can't do anything to make it work. I am thinking that by closing the computer with the PSU switch I might have shorted something, but with a good PSU like I have on a protected circuit it shouldn't happen. I saw an existing post were someone had the same problem and had used the PSU switch. But it is design to do that, Not fry everything by using it. The Antec PSU also has a protection against surges.

Tonight I will try to use a 350W Enermax PSU I have in another computer and see if it changes something. If not than they are 2 possible solution (Maybe just the buttons, but I doubt it) or the Motherboard is screwed. If it is the motherboard and my Waranty is not good anymore, I will have to buy a new motherboard and a New CPU, reinstall Windows and my Video Card which is AGP won't work in a PCIE MOBO. So I will have to buy a lesser MOBO and if future upgrade have to come I won't be able to buy a PCIE Video Card. If they still do the AGP by then. By they way they still sell Athlon XP MOBO in my local computer shop but they are so cheap they don't have AGP 8X or DDR400.

So what do you think it might be?? Any suggestion as to what I may Try? Anyone with a similar problem.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Gigabytes G7A-400L Motherboard (nForce 2)
2 X 512MB of DDR400 Memory in Dual CHannel
Antec 450W SmartPower
Maxtor 160GB 8MB IDE HardDrive (Primary Master)
Pionner DVD-111D (New DVD Burner) (Secondary Master)
Geforce 6600 GT AGP (w/ Additional Power plugged in)
Creative Live 5.1 Soundcard
ComproPVR 2 Video Capture Card

well, just check it with the other PSU. i think it is the buttons myself. although it is strange how one broke, and then the other. its almost as if the mobo is breaking the buttons by overloading them somehow.

maybe try connecting the two necessary pins with a peice of wire while the motherboard has power?

try to hotwire the psu , it will give you a pretty good clue.. , to hotwire it disconnect the main atx connector from the mobo and unplug the power cord or set the switch to off and put a wire between the pin with the *green* wire to one of the *blacks* then put the power cord back or set the switch to on

be aware that the psu must have a minimum load when hotwiring so better have some fans+opticals and maybe some other things connected otherwise if its working it will crap out.. , and if it will work then its possible it will work as it should after youll reconnect the main atx connector to the mobo. sometimes psus get stuck from some reason

so to 'coldstart' your computer (as I like to say), unplug it, take a jumper and put it in the same spot that you usually put the power switch connector and then plug it back it in. If it doesnt work, then its a power issue, from the way it sounds most likely the motherboard. Try the other power supply and if it works fine then you know the problem is the power supply unit, if it doesnt turn on its the motherboard

thanks ace, didn't even think of using a jumper good idea. I will do just what you said.

But I hope it not the Motherboard. And i don't know how i might i've damaged it.

I will try it tonight, I will post my finding tomorrow or maybe tonight. (I will have to take appart my other working computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom