LCD vs CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub1971

Baseband Member
I was reading in the games forums about people saying that games are not as good on an LCD as they are on a CRT. I have only ever used CRT monitors so I dont know, but I am about to buy an LCD 8ms 17" monitor.

Is this a bad move? I mostly use my PC for gaming. Should i get an LCD 17" or a cheaper CRT that is bigger? say 19" or 21" ?

Cheers
Cub
("")("")

That's kind of an old myth that CRTs are better for gaming. That info came out when refresh rates for LCDs was high (slow) and would cause a 'ghosting' effect when something fast was moving across the screen, which is typical in games.

Nowadays, you can readily find 2ms LCDs for not-bad prices. However 2ms is kinda excessive, and does cost more. 12ms or less seems to be good for all-around use including gaming.

Go for the LCD:D

Elbatrop1 said:
That's kind of an old myth that CRTs are better for gaming. That info came out when refresh rates for LCDs was high (slow) and would cause a 'ghosting' effect when something fast was moving across the screen, which is typical in games.

That myth has since became a falsehood due to the advancing technology behind LCDs and ghosting is no longer a problem. Funny thing is, many, if not most gamers still believe that myth is 100% accurate and will bash LCDs and LCD users viciously.

The biggest problem you will have with your LCD is convincing your die-hard gamer friend that you made a good choice.

I will not be moving to LCD anytime soon due to having to keep the resolution at its native one or the picture will get enlarged (and look terrible - non swearing way lol.) With a CRT you can have it at any resolution and it will look good.

the problem is thatthe native resolution its 1280x1024 which mean you have to have an uber graphics card to run new games..

Another problem with LCD monitors is dead pixels, VERY annoying and also the colours are way off by comparison to a CRT.

However LCDs do have their gaming advantages, e.g. the make dark areas much more visible making it practically impossible for someone to hide in shadows and own you :D

LCDs take up sooo much less space though, I dont think I'll ever buy another CRT dispite LCDs current limitations.

is dead pixels a common problem though?
I've been using LCDs for ages and I've never seen a dead pixel, on mine or anyone else's screen...

i was planning on buying a LCD from a store just so they would hook it up and shwo me no dead pixels before i ever leave the store.

MrCoffee said:
the problem is thatthe native resolution its 1280x1024 which mean you have to have an uber graphics card to run new games..

Another problem with LCD monitors is dead pixels, VERY annoying and also the colours are way off by comparison to a CRT.

However LCDs do have their gaming advantages, e.g. the make dark areas much more visible making it practically impossible for someone to hide in shadows and own you :D

LCDs take up sooo much less space though, I dont think I'll ever buy another CRT dispite LCDs current limitations.

He does have a point. 1280x1024 is a very, very difficult resolution to play in. Anymore, if you want to play any higher than 1024x768 and still have extra eye candy features turned on, you will need to look into an SLI solution.

Being as 1024x768 is the absolute, undisputed standard for gaming as well as the resolution most gamers prefer and play in, I'm suprised LCD manufacturers haven't put more effort into addressing this issue. Its definately a huge plus for CRTs and has made me consider going back more than once.

About the colors, once again, that depends on what kind of LCD you get. Try to get one with a high contrast ratio, which will really help that issue. Most newer ones have much better color accuracy as well.

Dead pixels usually come with in the first month, so you may not have a dead pixel at the store but after a short period it may become dead/lazy.

12x10 is not too much for a modern single card, but you have to keep getting a modern card or you will be screwed, it is a comitment buying a LCD. Definatly the way to go if you are rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom