Pentium D 805 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
I'm looking into this processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116001

I am trying to decide between the AMD X2 3800 and this one. I know the AMD X2 is probably going to be better, but is it worth the price difference? The difference in price will buy me 1GB of ram and a motherboard. This article here made me start to consider the 805 as an option because of it's high overclocks.

http://www.burntware.com/dc/

I made another post and had many questions answered about the X2 3800 so if anyone can help me out in the comparisons of these two CPUs I would appreciate it. I'm just trying to find an inexpensive solution to upgrade to better quality RAM and PCIe video, but if the X2 is much better I'll stick with it. I've made up my mind that dual core is the way to go.

Thanks

i am researching the same thing because i am getting a job and i wanted a budget build. most people are getting 4.2 ghz on air and 3.8-4 ghz on stock hsf. I think for the price you are getting a good cpu.AMD fan boys dont hate on me I like amd alot but this is a really cheap dual core cpu that overclocks high and has 1mb of cache on each core for 150!.

you'll end up with same price, as in case of AMD's the processors are expensive, but good motherboards are comparitively cheaper. and also DDR-2 (in Intel) is expensive as compare to DDR in AMD's so far. Intel Processors re cheaper but their motherboards are expensive (if you are going for better chipset and Mobo manufacturer.)

Get the AMD. I run an Intel D820 and I wouldn't EVER go below that. AMD's X2's are great processors compared to the Intel's. You can always look into buying a combo processor/motherboard/RAM from places like www.monarchcomputers.com . That way it's easier to choose what will work with what and you'll get a good deal. You'll also be able to compare different brands and prices much easier.

And yes, you can overclock the 805, but it'll require some pretty good cooling action, which will run your costs up more and still won't be as good an an AMD in some cases.

If you want to OC, i would recommend the Opteron 165. Thats supposed to have excellent OC abilities (most people get them from 1.8GHz to 2.8GHz on air cooling). Its $30 more than the X2 3800+ but its worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom