Entire Comp Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
Ok I just set up an AMD 3000+ Newcastle on a Gigabyte K8U ULi Mobo.

I plugged everything in and turned it on and it turned on fine but thats where it stops. It didnt do the POST so I can't tell from the beeps and the video card isnt working so I cant see anything. Also, when I try to turn the comp back off it doesnt do anything and stays on so I have to unplug it. The heatsink fan is working and the light on the mobo is on so I know its getting power. But it doesnt sound like the two CD drives and HD are being powered. The HDD light stays on permanently. I cant open either of the CD drives.

The only thing I was worried about was the PSU which is only 300W. It has on old ATX connector and not a 12V ATX if that makes a difference.

If I think of anything else I let you know. Thanks.

What kind of video card are you using, and are you sure that it is properly seated and monitor cable correctly connected?

cvb724 said:
It has on old ATX connector and not a 12V ATX if that makes a difference.
thats not so clear , what do you mean? that it dont have a 4pin connector?

the 4pin connector is a must if it have it make sure its plugged in , and 300w psus in general have low amps and its likely not enough , youll probably need to get a new psu i recommend this one
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009310&cid=PS.808
its possible you got a DOA mobo but considering the psu very its unlikely

the operating system got nothin to do with it , the psu's job is to powerup the various parts theres no connection whatsoever between it to the operating system and you can read xp 64bit system requirements here , the psu you suggested is an overkill he doesnt really need that much power

ya it has absolutely no 4pin connector only the other. ya thanks jeremy we're (me and my gf) going to get one at canada computer later today since we live beside it

and im gonna reformat the HD so it doesnt matter which OS i use right now.

i also tested the HDD and its getting no power at all

so i'll try that tonite and get back thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom