Asus A8V question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain77

Solid State Member
Hey all, first post here.

I have a question, I just upgraded to an AMD X2 4200+ and when i purchased the mobo I got an Asus A8V. My question is this; When I assembled my rig, i put the memory modules into the blue slots first as per the manual. But i don't have dual channel ram, and i'm not sure I put it in the right slot. Can anyone check out this link, and see if they can tell me if I put the ram into the right slots.

LINK

These are my memory slots, i have the ram in the blue slots,
(the first & third slots) completely skipping A2, is this correct? because i'm having performance problems, it doesn't seem like I've upgraded at all.

1st & 3rd slot are blue.
[] [] [] []

Thanks in advance.

according to the manual when having 2 sticks for dual channel you should put em on slots A1 & B1 (the 2 blue ones) so yes you puted em properly , and just to make it clear dual channel isnt a ram feature (although alot of ram sticks are being sold in identical pairs as *dual channel* to avoid stability/compatability issues) dual channel is a feature in various motherboard chipsets and its supported on your mobo however you gotta use same size sticks otherwise it wont run in dual channel for example 256+512 wont run in dual channel but 512+512 will , better have at least pc3200/ddr400 otherwise it will kinda limit the performance as the ram must handle the processor fsb (200) and ddr400 runs at 200 so..

the performance issues your experiencing might be caused by spyware or resource hogging software/s that run on startup , please be more specific on what the issues are exactly

edit forgot to ask , what processor did you previously had?

Thanks for your help jeremy.

ok so the ram I have installed isn't dual channel, they are the same size, 512 x 512 but not by the same manufacturer. so that's why i was wondering if I should of installed the ram on A1 & A2 instead.

My old cpu was an AMD athlon 64 (skt 754). that's why i had to upgrade the mobo when i bought the cpu.

My rig for reference:
AMD X2 4200+
Asus A8V mobo
XFX Nvidia 6800 GS AGP
1gb ddr 400 ram
sound blaster audigy 2 value

what else do you wanna know? you alredy got your answer so i have no clue :confused: , try to be more specific ..

ah ok

so your saying it's not a memory feature? any ram that's the same size can utilize the dual channel feature on my mobo?

yeah its a chipset feature , and thats correct as long as same sizes also as long as its 2 or 4 sticks , 3 cant work in dual channel even if same size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom