Something fishy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
I was doing a check up on XP 64x for the first time; I ran my Adaware, ran CCleaner, ran Avast and all that junk and went on to defragment my drives... well... I go to System Tools and to my shock, there is no Defragment Drives icon, nor are there a few other famililar ones I saw on XP. Does x64 not have a Disk Defragmenter? In addition to this, my Entertainment folder is empty besides WMP and there is no Windows Update icon anywhere to be seen. Is this all something that is normal in x64 or is my computer hiding things from me? If not, what the heck happened?

fishy.jpg

Right Click on a drive>Properties>Tools and see if the disk defrag is there.

The Windows Update might not have been checked or just cleaned out by CCleaner or something. Go to the website update,windows.com and everything should be a go.

The Entertainment folder only has a sound utility and volume control along with WMP in it for me. Those are options it installed with my sound card drivers. Maybe that is why you dont have them. Have any issues with sound?

I have enountered this in the office several times. In some versions of Windows Microsoft has decided that you do not need to clean up your hard drive and has left out the software. What you need to do is to find a freeware defragger. Sorry do not have the answer on where to find such a beast. My office had bought several PCs all came standard without de-fraggers. The office downloaded and sent out a over the counter de-fragger. Although I have gotten the religion on freeware recently, there has got to be a free software out there to do the job.

Didn't see this posted :

Have you tried Right clicking the My Computer Icon and selecting Manage?

When the Manage Console opens look for the Defrag there...

Might not be there, but I didn't see this path posted.

The disk defragmenter is still under Manage and also when I right click on the disk. Thank god! Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom