Power Suppy Wattage + Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub1971

Baseband Member
Hi Guys.

This is my first post so please be gentle. I am building a new pc, (the third I have built) and I have a question about the wattage of the power supply unit and the needs of my graphics card.

I want to use a Geforce 7800GTX graphics card, and the Case I want to buy (Thermaltake Tsunami Silver) has a 430w power supply in it.

Will this be sufficient to power my video card with no problems? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.
Cub
("")("")

welcome to the forums.

no i don't think that powersupply is sufficient.

just a question.. are you buying the 7800gtx or already have it? if you're buying it i recommend you get the 7900gt, better or similar performance, and a lot cheaper.

One more thing, I love how we're all so quick to say "no that won't work, but this more expensive thing." Everything I do, I do on a budget ;b Not an accusation or anything, just thought it was funny.

Thanks for the replies.

I have not bought the gfx card yet. So the GTX is not that much better than the GT? The Tsunami Silver case comes with a 430w power supply so looks like I will have to buy a new PSU for it. Actually if it comes to that, I might buy the Thermaltake XaserV Gaming Tower instead and buy a PSU for that.

BTW, If the voltage is insufficient what happens?

That's an awesome PSU btw, I have to say I looked at all the cables off the back and though what the **** are they all for?

Cheers
Cub
("")("")

All the voltages are the same - maybe slightly off. Ampage is what really matters.

The one you have has 18 Amps on the 12v and a PSU like the thermaltake TR2 500w PSU has 29 Amps.

The antec truepower 550w has 38 Amps.

no you misunderstood me.

you said you were gonna buy the 7800gtx. i recommended the 7900gt. different line of cards. the 7900gt is better and cheaper than the 7800gtx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom