Should I replace my wireless card, my memory, or my MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchus

Beta member
Hey everyone,
I've got a weird one that's really driving me up the wall...

I've got a PC, homebuilt.

Pentium 4, 2.8 gig
512 MB RAM- PC3200
Motherboard is an ASUS, I don't have the model # on me.
Wireless card- Linksys wireless B
Router is wireless G from DLink.
WinXP SP2

Basically, the root issue here involves wireless connectivity, but it gets stranger than that. And before I continue, let me mention that my girlfriend's laptop connects with no issues. Maybe a dropout for a couple of seconds here and there, but that's it. I get dropouts every 10-20 minutes on average.

Basically, I have the typical problem where I lose my wireless connection constantly. I'm constantly getting dropouts, and it's freaking annoying. In frustration, I bought a new omnidirectional antenna for my wireless adaptor (not the router). Still stuck with dropouts. I replaced the Omnidirectional antenna with a directional one. Same issue. I've updated all drivers, updated BIOS, I've even completely formatted my harddrive and reinstalled Windows XP SP2. I still get dropouts.

When I lose my connection, I'll see the little network connection icon in the task bar, next to my system clock, and it'll have a red X showing no wireless networks are available. If I doubleclick on the icon, I get the popup which shows me my available wireless networks. Even if I click on this immediately after losing my connection, my computer WILL see my network. If it sees it, then why am I losing my connection? And why isn't it automatically reconnecting if it sees the network?

Wait, it gets worse.

Recently, I've "discovered" Bit Torrent :) When I try to download a file that will take a while (for example, a big file that will take 5 hours), I run into really strange issues. If I let the download run for a while, and then come and check on the status, invariably I'll have lost my connection at some point. So I'll reconnect and the download will continue. But here and there, the wireless network icon ITSELF disappears from the taskbar. If I go to the Control Panel>Network Connections, my computer will completely not even SEE my wireless adaptor anymore. In other words, I don't have the option to reconnect to the wireless network because my computer won't even recognize that I have a wireless adaptor! Rebooting is the only option at that point. And one time, as I was fiddling around trying to resolve this, my computer just shut down out of nowhere. Went right to a black screen, followed by a reboot.

I don't even know where to begin. Is my wireless adaptor conflicting with something? Should I buy a wireless G card? Is my motherboard busted? Bad memory? I don't know what the symptoms are for those issues, and I don't know how to continue...any ideas?

I would get a G adapter since its newer/faster than B and will go along with your router (even though your router should be backwards compatalbe)

802.11g
In 2002 and 2003, WLAN products supporting a new standard called 802.11g began to appear on the scene. 802.11g attempts to combine the best of both 802.11a and 802.11b. 802.11g supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps, and it uses the 2.4 Ghz frequency for greater range. 802.11g is backwards compatible with 802.11b, meaning that 802.11g access points will work with 802.11b wireless network adapters and vice versa.
Pros of 802.11g - fastest maximum speed; supports more simulatenous users; signal range is best and is not easily obstructed
Cons of 802.11g - costs more than 802.11b; appliances may interfere on the unregulated signal frequency
http://about.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom