Vaccum Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulater6000

Daemon Poster
Hey, my friend was talking about how he has the ultimate cooling in his pc. He says he has all his case fan blowing outwards to suck all of the air out of the case like a vaccum.

Well is this actually a practical way to cool a pc, or is he just being an idiot and stopping air flow through his pc and actually making temps worse?

Generally the best cooling would be having equal amount of air going in as going out, but there are cases that are designed to have all the fans sucking air out, and vents in the case where air is forced in naturally. Not really any difference between the cooling potential of both IIRC.

As far as i know, vaccume cooling could never work. Heat moves from hot to cold VIA atoms. If you take away the atoms (ie air) then the heat wont transfer. So your PC will just get super hot and die, even if you had the strongest fans in the world.

Remember, the aim is to get air from the PC Components to somewhere else.

space is a vaccuum :p Don't think I computer would die from being out there, but then again, as long as you aren't in the suns direct light the temperature is generally very cold.

There are three methods for cooling, posative pressure (all fans blowing into the case and the air is forced out cracks), negative cooling (all fans sucking air out and fresh air being pulled in thru the cracks), and equal cooling (where the air pressure is the same on the inside and outside so the air only moves in and out the fans). I personaly like negative cooling.

charles_scott said:
There are three methods for cooling, posative pressure (all fans blowing into the case and the air is forced out cracks), negative cooling (all fans sucking air out and fresh air being pulled in thru the cracks), and equal cooling (where the air pressure is the same on the inside and outside so the air only moves in and out the fans). I personaly like negative cooling.
has anyone tested on which is the best?

Simply having mulitpe case fans or a "Vaccuum" sucking air out of a PC case isn't effective enough for "Air Cooling"

You need a very conductive material like, "Copper" preferably "Heat Pipes" to conduct the heat from hot components like the, "CPU, GPU & Chipset". This is were heat dissipation begins.

Case fans, provide ventilation or "Airflow" which accelerate heat dissipation but by themselves are useless. When it comes to air cooling more focus should be put on a better material to start the dissipation process and less focus on bogarting moms houeshold appliances.

I actually think that sucking all of the air out of the case would lessen heat dissipation. Air needs to circulate inside the PC to mix warmed air from the heatsinks. Not suck it out of the case... The result would be extremely hot heatsinks... Counter productive.

i run my case at a balanced sirflow in/out and i get nice temps, also i have my zalman cnps 7700cu running on low and i dont understand my cpu temps, its to low and people ahve told me that its imp[ossible but its been on other motherboards and gotten the same temps.

Nubius said:
space is a vaccuum :p Don't think I computer would die from being out there, but then again, as long as you aren't in the suns direct light the temperature is generally very cold.

Nubius you nerd....

Of course a computer wouldn't overheat in space.

But if your create a Vaccum within a very small area. Such as a computer case, then it will.

:p

thats the worst idea ever. how can the case cool if there's LESS air to move the heat out. besides, case fans will never make any significant difference in air pressure that way. only crappier airflow. your friend just might be an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom