Mounting 2 fans onto 1 heat sink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedScissor

In Runtime
I've got some random fans lying around and I was wondering...

I've got an Opteron 165 with stock fan+heatsink combo on it...
What if I mounted another cooling fan ontop of the fan?
Double stacked fans ontop of the heat sink cooling the processor?

I was thinking about mounting a smaller, less powerful fan ontop.
Ideas behing this:

On the DFI SLI-DR Expert board, the CPU fan connector and fan 2 connector are very close to each other.
In the BIOS, there is a feature like if CPUTemp<25C, the fan turns off, but if greater than 25C, it runs full blast.
What if I connect the CPU fan to the fan 2 connector and connect the other fan (mounted on top of the "main" CPU fan) to the CPU fan connector?
That way, the main CPU fan will always be running at full blast, while the smaller fan shuts off whenever temps go below 25C.
Right now, my temps go between 25-26 idle. The CPU fan shuts off at 25, but then starts back up when it goes to 26... so it's always jumping back and forth between 25 and 26.
But if the smaller fan shuts off instead of the main CPU fan, then I'm thinking I can get something maybe like 20C CPU temp with the fan constantly running.

That's my idea... I'm hoping this will help out with overclocking, etc. I don't expect my temps to stay at 25-26 when I start to overclock the CPU. Consequently, I'm expecting both of the fans to be running at full blast when I start overclocking... hopefully maybe allowing me to squeeze an extra 100MHz outta the CPU or something...
But I won't be able to start overclocking til my roommate gets back into town... my Windows x64 disk is scratched and won't boot properly... so I gotta get him to burn me another copy

PS- Why are computers so **** addictive?

im not so sure on what it will do positivly but i dont think it will make the temps worse. You can have two 120's on the back and it will increase the airflow so why not on a cpu.

on the back they are not mounted on top of each other. he said he was going to mount one fan on top of another, in that case the second fan would not distribute air away from the heatsink any faster because its only link to the heatsink surface is the air coming from the first fan. therefore the second fan is limited by the first. the second fan will most likely inhibit the airflow of the first which would make the temps worse

You might be able to mount it on the side blowing air away from you're HSF, towards you're fans in the back.

thats what my friend does in his hyper 6. one fan blowing into heatsink, and another pulling from the other side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom