problem with os options screen at boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

beck13

Beta member
okay, heres what i did (in order)

* i made 2 partitions from my 37g hdd (first one 30g and the second one, wateva leftova, i think like 5gigs or so)

* i installed windows mce 2005 on my first partition (all successful)

* i tried to install windows xp pro mini on the second partition (5g) but i failed it would not work with the sata raid controller driver i had (which works fine with every other os installs). so i had to abort the installation

* now when i turn on the computer, during boot up it would ask me to chose from "windows xp pro" (as the first option on top) and "windows mce" (as second option)

obviously this screen shouldn't even exist, as i aborted the installation of xp so i only have 1 os in the hdd (i already formated the other partition again to make sure its clean)

...but the REAL problem is that, normally i would be given a 30 second countdown to chose, but in this strange case, no, i dont get any i get 0 and because the "windows xp pro" is on the top as first option, it automatically choose that option then goes to a "can't load... bla bla bla" screen and i have to restart the computer

however i managed to figure out... if i keep pressing up and down arrow keys just before that option screen come up i am able to stop the count down (at zero lol), so i can get into my os which i normally use.

so, 2 things...

* how do i get rid of the other OS (xp pro mini on the 2nd partition) which doesn't even exist anywhere accept in my computer's head

* IF i do install a different OS, is there any way i can choose which order they list on the option screen at bootup, eg. i would like it if i install a different os i want my everyday use OS to be listed on the top so that i dont have to sit and wait for the option screen and press down and enter

idealy i would like to change the countdown time too, but hey... can't have everything in life... >___<

i dont understand how windows xp pro would've disabled the 30-second boot selection. It might not have been legit, or a virus got into the disc.

My only advice is to reformat the hard drive, and next time, use Norton PartitionMagic to set the partition. Obviously the program you used was crappy.

yea, i dunno how the 30sec countdown was changed to 0sec...

with the partitions... i usually boot from xp cd and delete all the partition and make new partitions and install the os, is this a bad way to go about setting up a computer fresh?... it says it formats the partition, but it seems too quick, how do i do a full proper formatting of a harddrive with out having any OS in the computer?

...but anyhow, how do i use norton partition magic? does it have some kind of boot up disc utility?

jeeesse......boot into the working os, go to start, run, type msconfig, go to boot.ini, click check all boot paths, click ok to remove the invalid entry

wow... thanks warez monster!!

i'll give that a try, that sounds like exactly what i'm looking for!!!

thanks again~ ^___^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom