Help with installing hard drive with new motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiliconKing

Solid State Member
Okay, I have a new motherboard (an MSI K8T Neo-V to be exact)
And I installed my video card with no problem, but I have a hard drive that I scavenged from an old Dell Pentium 2 computer. IT had Windows 98 SE and Windows XP on it. When I installed the hard drive into my new case and plugged it into my motherboard, and started it up, everything went fine. Until I came to the operating system select screen. If I chose Windows XP, the screen would go blank, and the system would just restart. But if I chose Windows 98, it would try and start up, but when it was almost done loading, it would give me an error message saying,

"While initializing device V86MMGR: Insufficient memory to run Windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnessesary utilities from your Config.sys or Autoexec.bat files and restart your computer."

I don't really understand what this is trying to tell me. I've got 1GB of RAM, and 128MB of video RAM.
Do I just need to format and repartition my drive?

Oh, and another thing. I am able to run Windows 98 in Safe Mode, and everything kinda runs okay there, if not a little slowly.

Please give me some feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Format the harddrive. I'm thinking the drivers from the previous computer that that HD was home to are conflicting with the current motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom