remote access program

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
I need suggestions for LAN remote access programs. I love VNC, but I'm needing this for use on a small business LAN. People here tend to be more posessive of their machines than they should be, and unrecognized programs that run sys tray icons tend to get shut down with no one asking if it's a needed program or not.
I'd like to find something that works like VNC, will run as a service at boot, but has an option to not use a sys tray icon.

Any suggestions? Machines are running 98, 2000 and XP Pro.
The one making the connections to the remotes is XP.

canooten, dameware gives you gui remote access. you can disable the sys tray icon however they are still going to know whats going when the machine slows down and network usage is 100%. :mad: :eek:

I'm looking for a small, preferably freeware utility. PCAnywhere gets my use for accessing my home PC from work, but it's too bloated to control a machine over a network (for my wants anyway).

Is Dameware really that bad with system resources? I've heard that name before, but never used it.

i like vnc as well, dameware is the smallest & 'cleanest' your gonna find. of course, if the user looks in the task manager and ends the process its not going to work either. :rolleyes:

I'm not really concerned with someone finding it in the task manager, it's the taskbar icon that I want to get rid of.

I'll get a demo of dameware and see what it looks like. I know there is a way to rid VNC of the taskbar icon by adding and changing some registry lines, but I'm rather leary of doing that.

get remote admin from farmatec i believe, just google it and try the demo, i use it to fix computers that go bad here in the states. its small but i think it does have a icon, maybe a way to mask it?

-gkhan

oops, i just saw it, it does have hide tray icon ;)
i think this will work for u, its about 3 mb and works really well.

-gkhan

Yea, radmin is the way to go. Users can't tell when you have the screen active either. It's free to try and only $30 to buy. I bought this a while ago and haven't been disappointed since.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom