Start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ech0 said:

the website says they dont offer seperate drives since they apparently are imbedded into the operating system

OK I have no idea what you're refering to there but none the less here is a link to the hitachi drive checking utility

here

you can also check out their RMA/warrenty policies. I suggest you back up any data you want off that harddrive.

Create the bootdisk, read the instructions, run whatever checks are appropriate then post back.

i was talking about device drivers.

I also wanted to know if it was possible to format the drive in windows command prompt and then installing my OS on it.

also about making the disk. i dont have a floppy drive so if i were to use the cd iso, would i make a bootable cd?

Yes I believe so, though you would need to change the startup sequence in your CMOS to make the CD drive boot before the harddrive.

I'm pretty sure you can format from the repair console though I don't remember doing it before.
I'm positive the windows CD will format the harddrive for you when you do a fresh install if you ask it to.

i tried burning a bootable cd for the iso and when i got to the screen after i added the iso, it told me it was looking for a floppy disk.

im using Nero Startsmart

crap, whoever setup the links is obviouly a muppet :rolleyes: its just the same boot disk files in three different formats.

Aside: Take note all you floppyophobes, this is why we need floppy drives

ok well looks like thats a deadend then unless you can get hold of a floppy drive.

Did you take a look in the SMART section in everest? all status ok?

also look in the eventviewer / system and see if there are any errors or warnings and crop up repeatedly and relate to your hard drive.

windows key + R
type "eventvwr"
enter
double click on system

well i checked my event viewer and it looked like mainly tcp/dhcp or dcom, not sure what dcom was.

i borrowed a copy of windows 98 from my friend. they told me i could use that cd in order to format the hard drive but im not sure how to do that and don't want to get stuck half way and be lost. anyone experienced with doing it that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom