Transf. Cassettes to CD - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude2244

Baseband Member
I'm trying to transfer Audio cassettes to CD using Pyro 1.5 (Free Trial version). I read the instructions and pretty much understands the process. Also have the Y-RCA cables. But here's the problem, my compact stereo doesn't have an Audio L and R Output. In the back in only has:
1. Phono
2. Video/Aux

I think these two connections are IN. Like connecting a turntable or VCR, etc. So, how do I get the music out of the stereo and into my PC? Any help would be appreciated.

Ive never heard of the software and havent got the time to look into it right now, but I assume you connect a cassete player to your PC via Output/Input.

Basically, If you do not have stereo outputs on your casete players you can alternativly try the mic as an output source (hopefully a stereo mic). In this case you will need different cabling. Obviously one that fitst your mic jack to stereo input jacks.
Depending on what socket types you need, you will have to lookinto yourself.

Here in NZ, its typical just to get a 3.5mm stereo to stereo AUX (A.K.A a Y plug/adapter) to get around this but may differ for you/your country.

The software shouldnt have a problem with this.

You need To go to Radio Shack.
But i think your asking too much from what you've got.
Remember you asked and i replied.

I would assume your cassette player has a headphone output? If so get a stereo mini - stereo mini (1/8") cable and hook them up that way. Headphone output to line in on the computer.

You'll have to play with the input volume (volume of the stereo) to be sure it doesn't distort....your final volume setting should be pretty low. You'll want to boost the input on the PC side instead of upping it on the stereo side.

I'm not familiar with the program you're using either, but you should be able to make that work just fine.

I did the same thing as canooten except I was using Cool Edit Pro... once I had the male-male (headphone jack to audio IN on the soundcard) I hit record and it worked great!

ALTHOUGH... I did have to tweak to recording bitrate and spread before it sounded right... at first it sounded like it was playing from within a box. I don't think Pyro has the best recording though... at Least try out Audacity (it's free!)

Update: Went to Radio Shack and bought me an adapter that transforms my L and R RCAs to a Stereo 1/8 so I can plug it into the Headphone Jack. Tried several times to record using Pyro but it's not picking up the music, for some reason. Maybe the free trial doesn't let you record like my bundled musicmatch jukebox software.

Anyways, tried it with a different software called LP Recorder that I just downloaded. It worked fine, I was able to record and the quality was really good. However, since it was a free trial version, the recording was limited to just 4 mins. I will try Audacity and Audio cleaning lab. I want to be able to go one step further and clean out the hissing sound associated with old tapes.

Since I'm plugging from the phone jacks, will it give me better quality if I hook em up to a real stereo with cassette deck and RCA outputs? I was too lazy to drag my stereo where my computer was. Also will an upgraded sound card provide better quality? Thanks for all the info.

You may have to shell some $$ out for a good capture program that will also allow you to clean your recordings up. Someone above mentioned Cool Edit....that's a great program, but it's been sold to Adobe in the last year, so you can't get the cheap version any more.
When Syntrillium owned the program, you could get a version for about $50 that was great. The pro version was about $200 or $300. Now that Adobe has it, it's called Adobe Audition and the $300 version is all there is.

You might try a soundcard makers website. Something like Creative or other large maker. They usually bundle capture software with their product and may have versions available for download that will allow you to save full size files and do cleanup as well.

If you plan to do alot of cassette - CD recording, I'd suggest getting a seperate component tape deck just for your computer. Having RCA outputs will help a great deal with the noise on the capture. Running through the headphone output is giving you a slightyly amplified signal, which boosts noise (hiss and such). Capture from a line level output (RCA) will give you a much cleaner signal to work with.

It doesn't make sense that you couldn't capture with the first program you used. Did you verify that the line in input on your PC was selected in the windows mixer? Double click the speaker icon in your sys tray and select options/properties, then check the recording button and click OK. Make sure the Line In (or if you're using XP, the "what u hear" slider will work). If the wrong one is checked, you won't get a signal.

I may be wrong but

Lookin back,i don't think your machine has audio out,If its just a small hand held.Take IT to Radio Shack.
There are other ways to do this,but it requires a lot of patience.
That why i gave it up.
:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom