Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warez Monster said:
BusinessWeek is reporting that Microsoft's next release of Internet Explorer, version 7, will not be integrated into Windows. Breaking nearly ten years of tradition, Internet Explorer was always very tightly integrated into Windows, allowing users to do such things as launch a website directly from any Windows Explorer window, or save a live web page as the desktop wallpaper.
What will they use for a default internet browser? They have to have something.

They will probably leave it up to the user to choose. I bet IE will be an option to install for Browser but if a user chooses to use Firefox or Opera they will be able to do so. But for Updates i bet IE will have to be installed.

It will have IE as a option to install. But it might also come with Firefox or Opera already with the installer there. But how many people that use Firefox or Opera cant use a different PC or a older version to install then get the one they want.

OpticalIllusion said:
What will they use for a default internet browser? They have to have something.
What'd'you mean they "have to have something?"

They don't have to have jack squat. Since the IE browser won't be a part of the OpSys anymore (about stupid time), you could install with nothing in the way of a browser. Just because you don't have an Internet browser, doesn't mean you can't have a connection to the Internet. They could develop a stand-alone update utility, etc.

Chances are, since they are programmers and thus are lazy (like all the rest), they will continue to use IE for many services because of the built-in functions of IE (namely ActiveX).

But who cares if IE gets installed by default? Since it's not part of the system anymore, yer free to get rid of it or hide it to your heart's content. And if it installs by default, that doesn't mean you can't just install whatever you want to install after-the-fact.

Even if it does install what about just removing it? I think that Vista will still use IE for the updates. But they are changing that also from what i have heard.

what is this business week stuff? go to microsoft.com. at least thats where i go to get my info on microsoft. they still have IE7 as one of the main features and unless that changes i'm going to trust the developers first.

mikee said:
I mean do they make one that supports vista sidebar gadgets for xp?

They are only ports from the Sidebar of Vista Build 5219. They have very few gadgets for it and it doesnt work the greatest. It uses mroe memory than its worth right now. Until they port the new one over i wouldnt worry about the Vista Sidebar or they officially release it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom