FSB:800MHz, mobo supports 800MHz, DDR400MHz Ram; Bus speed = 200Mhz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumone

Baseband Member
Why is my bus speed not 400MHz?
- CPU = Athlon XP 64 (Sempron) [socket-754] 2.0GHz
- - FSB=800MHz

- Mobo = MSI K8T Neo-V
- - Supports 800MHz

- Ram = 512MB DDR400 Crucial link

I thought the bus speed is limited by the lowest performing component, which would be the memory; which is at 400MHz. Am I not correct?

asdf17ks.jpg

asdf23yi.jpg

asdf33bk.jpg

Everything appears to be right.... Your HTT in reality is only supposed to be 200 at stock. Your RAM will run at the 400Mhz like its supposed to if your still stock. The only reason it appears to run at 200Mhz is because it's DDR ram, which stands for Double Data Rate, or something similar.

The FSB is Quad pumped ( 200 x 4 = 800)

You also have your ram running at single channel which is 200mhtz. Buy another stick of the same ram and size for DDR400.

You also have your ram running at single channel which is 200mhtz. Buy another stick of the same ram and size for DDR400.
wrong. the ram says its at 200mhz because it is at 200mhz. the reason they say DDR400 is because it is Double Data Rate. that is, it runs at 200mhz but can read/write twice per clock cycle effectively giving it a frequency of 400mhz. the FSB is actually 200mhz but says 800mhz because it is "quad-pumped" like turtile said.

Whats wrong?

I'm saying that you need two sticks to run DDR which is 200 x 2 which is 400. Both sticks run at the same time giving twice the speed.

Its running at 200 with only 1 stick.

that is wrong. you are confusing DDR with dual channel. DDR has nothing to do with how many sticks of ram you have. dual channel is having 2 sticks (in some cases 4) running on seperate memory channels giving a 128 bit wide bus rather than 64 bit. DDR400 will run at 200mhz no matter what because that is its actual frequency

OK, I really didn't understand you guys' explanations. So I guess my next question is this: in order to run at 800mhz (the max FSB of the CPU), what do I have to do?

My previous computer's bus speed was 166mhz when it could've gone up to 400mhz. I'm still having the same problem of not running at max potential.

turtile said:
Whats wrong?

I'm saying that you need two sticks to run DDR which is 200 x 2 which is 400. Both sticks run at the same time giving twice the speed.

Its running at 200 with only 1 stick.

:smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom