Can't reinstall Windows X64: Problems booting from CDROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedScissor

In Runtime
Ok...
I previously had a MSI K8N Neo4-F, but I just replaced it with a DFI LanParty UT nf4 SLI-DR Expert.
I got everything working and stuff, and I want to reinstall my Windows X64.
I put the CD in the master Optical Drive.

I go into the BIOS and I set the settings to this:

First Boot Device: CDROM
Second Boot Device: Disabled
Third Boot Device: Disabled
Boot Other Device: Disabled
Swap Floppy Drive: Disabled
etc...

I save and exit the BIOS
It boots and what not... It says:
"Press any key to boot from CD"
I press enter
BUT
It goes to the page where it's asking me if I want to boot up:
Windows X64 Professional
Windows XP Home

(I previously had XP Home on the hard drive I am using)

Here's the problem... My keyboard does NOT work. It won't recognize me pressing enter or f8 or anything.

Then it loads the windows thing after the 30 second timer runs out.
And it says Windows is experiencing problems or something during the launch/boot

It says whether I wanna boot into Safe Mode, etc.
But it has a timer as well and says if I don't choose anything, it will boot normally. Sadly, my keyboard doesn't work during this. Consequently, it boots normally and fails to boot.

I'm not quite sure what to do...

All advice is greatly appreciated!!!

PS- The Windows CD is not scratched in any way.

It's USB.

I'm using my girlfriends iBook to post, etc. while I wait to fix this.
I don't have a keyboard with a cord available... My roommate's keyboard is wireless as well.

Thanks for replying, BTW.

Try using a USB to PS/2 converter. They are cheap and might allow for your keyboard to be recognized. I think it has to do with the drivers not loading USB drivers. That is why you keyboard isnt getting recognized.

Yeah, but the thing is...
I'm telling it to boot from the CDROM, but it's booting from the Harddrive.
I unplugged the harddrive, and it got me to windows setup, etc., but the mouse doesn't work.

I was thinking about hooking the harddrive up to my friend's computer and wiping it clean, then plugging it back into my computer.

Well everything you need to do with the Windows install you can do with the keyboard. Y dont need the mouse. Just need to learn the keyboard commands that allow you to move thru the install.

I meant the mouse and keyboard don't work... I forgot to include the keyboard in my post.

I think I'm gonna go "borrow" a keyboard from the computer lab and hook it up and see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom