Help me upgrade my gf's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, man, thx a lot.
Yeah I went to sleep it was like 6am :)

The more I talk to u the more I realized that bringing the dead to lofe was more complicated than I thought and that maybe actually getting a new rig was the way to go. i stepped up with the budget to $1500 only because I know my buddy will grat my current one for $400. He'll get it for that much because he knows that I take care of computer. In last months I changed HDD to Western Digital 80gb, Changed the PSU changed to video card above mentioned and bought BENQ with Lightscribe. So i spent $350 in last 6 months.

Anyway number 1 and 2 are the way to go for me. So i'll give u what I decided.

Antec P180 $160
X2 3800+ $338
Lg DVD-WR $46
Western Digital 250gb SATAII 16MB $115
ASUS 58NX AMD 939 mobo $120
Kingston 2gb ram kit $209
Antec TruePower II 480watt powersupply $96
XFX Geforce 7900GT $385

One more question, if i'd get video from NCIX.com would u then recoomend other video card ?

well the 7900gt is excellent value for high performance. i would definitely stick with it. if you were to get it from ncix, then maybe i'd get a different brand like eVGA since they're so popular here in these forums. XFX, as far as i know, is a good brand. they've however garnered a lot of criticism over their 6*** series cards, a lot of problems etc.. but in my opinion i dont' think they're that bad. whateve rbrand you choose, 7900gt is definitely the way to go.

Hey, one more question.
What's the difference beetween those cases ?

Thermaltake Soprano $95
Thermaltake Tsunami $145
Thermaltake Kandalf $230

This is also info for my system, so i'll ask it here instead of creating new thread. Which one is worth the noney that u pay for it ?

well the soprano and tsunami look almost identical, and are probably very similar. only major difference is that the tsunami is made of aluminum and the soprano is made of 0.8mm steel. aluminum is lighter and allows for heat to escape better..

as for the kandalf, i have no idea. its huge!! its aluminum as well.. i donno what major advantage it has.. i personally don't like it.

Lol, u'r computer hours just started again ? :)
See u sit at night in front of comp like me :)

I saw that soprano had plastic components like doors and tsunami was all aluminum. So I started to look around and came across the Kandalf too.

I'm also looking at heatsinks on newegg right now. what are those ? is it a name for just normal cpu fan or is it more complicated ?

sumik said:
Lol, u'r computer hours just started again ? :)
See u sit at night in front of comp like me :)

I saw that soprano had plastic components like doors and tsunami was all aluminum. So I started to look around and came across the Kandalf too.

I'm also looking at heatsinks on newegg right now. what are those ? is it a name for just normal cpu fan or is it more complicated ?

lol not quite.. i have school tomorrow so i'm gonna go sleep soon.

there's usually a heatsink fan on your cpu (heatsink AND fan). the fan usually sits on the heatsink. you need both for your cpu. i've seen some really fancy heatsinks that don't need fans.. you could buy the heatsinks and fans seperately or together.

oh, ok, I get it now, so the fancy ones that look like they came out of Star Trek lets say would b actuall improvenet over stock, well if the price is right :D Guess they'r also a nice eye candy if u have open side panel.
And I gotta work tomorrow, wake up at 7am

lol ya. some keep it really cool but loud, some are really quiet but not very good at cooling, so you gotta strike the right balance there.. with looks too! i don' thave much experience as i'm using my stock heastinkfan, hehe

Alrright, gotta get some sleep. Talk to u later, if I have some questions I'll post them here, hope u'll check back if I need any other help in the future. Cuz of the whole board over here, u ended up being the only person that actually helped me.
Thank you again, and hope I can help you out in the future with something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom