Another RAM question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer64amd

Baseband Member
I have a gig of Pc2700 and was considering getting either another gig of pc2700 or a gig of PC3200 or higher such as PC4000. Should I go with 4000 or 2 gigs of 2700?

Also how do you run ram in Dual channel? Do you need a certian amount?

I know kind of a stupid question but I don't know, so I figured I'll ask.

Thanks.

Get the pc2700. If you buy the pc3200 and run it with a stick of pc2700 the motherboard will run both sticks of memory at the speed or the slowest stick, so your 3200 will run at 2700 speed. As for the dual channel, it depends on if your motherboard supports it.

I think u have to have the same speed RAM so you cant mix them. If you can then anything higher than pc2700 will only work at that speed so is wasted money. Go for 2 gigs of pc2700 i would say.

Lol I know if you mix them it will run at the lower speed, sorry for not making this clear, but if I get the higher speed, I won't use the gig of 2700 I have anymore. Either I would use 2 gigs of 2700 or 1 gig of 3200 or higher.

Oh right ok. umm not sure really its prob best to get rid of the pc2700 ram and get pc3200 from now. just keep adding 1 gb ram of that when you need to. That way you will have the best you cant fit into the 4 slots.

My ram currently is PNY PC2700 DDR SDRAM 184pin and my motherboard is a KA1 MVP Extreme ATI Radeon 200 Xpress Crossfire Chipset.

If you dont mind me asking something in ur thread........

can u sum up some stuff regarding memory speed. Like what Im used to is DDR400 and pc3200. But now theres like DDR500 pc4000 stuff. I know the higher the better isnt it? And also the DDR2 thing.

Because should I be getting higher DDR and PC or is it not really matter?

Cuz i was thinking about getting 2 gigs of ram, 2X512. The corsair value ones, but i notice the higher ddr and pc now.

PC3200 is the highest one for ddr ram i think. (sorry if this is incorrect)
and higher than that is ddr2. It will tell you in the specs of the memory if its ddr or ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom