Upgrading from a Celeron 2.0 to a Prescott 2.4 - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Del

Solid State Member
I have a Aopen AX4B 533mz motherboard with a celeron 2.0 chipset. I want to upgrade to a Intel Prescott 2.4 (AE) chip, but I am unsure whether I am really going to see any change.
I use my computer for mostly video, rendering, 3d etc, no games.
I really don't have the money right now to upgrade the mobo and chipset to an intel 3.0 and mobo with 800FBS, so this is my option :
I spend $150.00 on a new chip, 2.4 Intel Prescott, or wait another year until prices maybe come down and I have a little more disposable income.
Also, since the Prescott has hyperthreading, will my Aopen mobo have the ability to utilize this?

Thanks in advance.

David

im not sure you will see much of a difference, 400mhz intel is practically nothing. save ur money then when you got the dough, get a conroe when it comes out.

Well someone told me that unless I upgrade to the 3.0 chip, I won't see much difference, but someone else told me that was not true, so I am not sure what to believe anymore!

You will see a small difference. That celeron has 128k cache and a 400mhz fsb. The prescott will have a 533fsb and a higher cache plus the 400mhz clock speed.

Thanks. I just don't know if the difference is neglible as far as the price. Am I really going to believe the $150.00 was worth it for a small difference? That is what I am struggling with...

Yes, you are most certainly right. My big problem beside the cash now is figuring out how to upgrade the mobo and the chipset without having to backup everything, reformat etc... Any suggestions?
I am running a dual boot with 2 physical different drives
C : winME
D : WinXP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom