Help me upgrade my gf's computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumik

In Runtime
Allright I want to upgrade my gf's computer cuz it's slow as ****. Sometimes I play cs or try to play BF2 (horrible gameplay) and it's just slow. Computer restarts on itself once in a while and sometims lags while doing simple operations like opening Firefox.

Anyway here are the spec that I found so far.

Mobo ECS P4S5MG/GL+
CPU Pentium 4 1.7 GHZ
Ram SDRAM 512mb 3.3.3.6.10
Video MSI FX5700 128mb
PSU no clue what it is, nothing written on it, just plain box

I don't wanna go over $400 as I'm in middle of putting another computer for myself. What could I do with it ? Overclocking is out of question as I don't know how to do it, or have any friends that do it. If u require any addtional info hit me up please, also if u wanna see pics of it then lemme know, i'll b more than happy to do some.

i can understand why bf2 would be horrible, but firefox?! i suspect something else is wrong since thats a pretty good computer for surfing etc. try formatting or clean up your comp (look for viruses/adware/spyware, defrag, etc..). if your girlfriend also wants to play bf2, then ya i would upgrade, but if all she does is surf, that comp should be more than adequate. i also have a p4 1.5ghz w/ 256mb ram (dad's comp) and it runs quite fine. it can run cs 1.6 and warcraf 3 just fine. obviously it'll choke on the newer games. so your gf's comp is powerful enough, i suspect its something else. formatting should do the trick...

how much resources is your system using? use task manager to find out how much RAM and CPU time is being used.
because a system like that should not lag in firefox. something else must be up with it.

Well computer doesn't use much when not accesing any programs.
uses around 100mb of ram and CPU is at 1%
but when i lets say load a website at that time it displays anywhere from 50-100% of CPU ussage, don't know if it should b like than. And when page loads it goes back to 1%

As for spyware and viruses there's lavasoft spyware detector, panda antyvirus, Norton peerguardian, so u see that computer is kept clean. Also out of 80gb there's only like 25gb used. So computer is kept clean and check every few days for anything out of ordinary.

I think that the no-name PSu is causing some of the problems, like random restarting cuz once her original one fried and i took it to some computer store to get it replaced and only paid them like $40canadian, so i'm sure it was some cheap one.
Currently I tech her how to play BF2 so she'll need something more powerfull for sure.

Sorry I forgot the comma beetween Norton and peerguardian, two different products. Panda does a really nice job, norton I delete after i scan computer, hate that program, I have t but I hate it.
Computer is clean, trust me.

Anyway this is turning into different topic. I need help with upgrading it cuz I have no clue lets say what mobo to get for that processor, psu and ram to stay within $400 budget.

so this is $400 american? since you mentioned canadian earlier i'm not too sure...

ah ok great, just keep in mind if you're in canada you can't shop from newegg.com (that would be sweet tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom