MAC Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretty

Solid State Member
Hi
Actually I know this thing that the MAC address of the LAN can't be changed but there is a method of changing something in the windows registery and then the MAC address is changed
So if some one have any Idea I will appreciate his/her help

Thanks in advance

No, you cannot change MAC addresses, they are physically burned onto the NIC Card/Onboard NIC.

They are a 12 Digit/Character Hexidecimal Number
The first 3 Octets or, 3 sets of 2, are the Manufacturers code, the Last 3 Octets are the Card Model/Serial ID.

Every MAC address is unique in the entire world..

Ste said:
No, you cannot change MAC addresses, they are physically burned onto the NIC Card/Onboard NIC.

They are a 12 Digit/Character Hexidecimal Number
The first 3 Octets or, 3 sets of 2, are the Manufacturers code, the Last 3 Octets are the Card Model/Serial ID.

Every MAC address is unique in the entire world..

No, you can change it.

Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manger > Network Adapters (Open up your network card) > Right click on your network card, select properties > Advanced > Network Adress

Type your new MAC address in here

Actually there is no Network Address Box Chris, I already Checked for both my Onboard Nics, you cannot change the MAC Address.

And if for some reason you can my computer is not showing the option, at least under the path you typed. :confused:

Edit: Wait I found it, that doesn't say MAC address, in fact in doesn't say what it is refering to, So I doubt it still.
If it was indeed the MAC address there should be a value in there already but instead the defualt is checked as "Not present".

:confused:

Ste said:
And yet another example of Comptia Being wrong.

I only said what I learned.

That's just what everyone thinks hun.

Now, changing MAC addresses is great for completly spoofing yourself ;)

I also want to change my MAC address to that of a main gateway on a network ;)

Wonder if it will be an easy way of routing all traffic thru me, instead of ARP posioning.

Since your disagreeing with me, when you read this again just try it.

0013D3AC243A

This will make you look like a PC with an MSI Mobo.

Goodnight, sweet dreams :p

" SMAC is a MAC Address Modifying Utility (for spoofing MAC address) for Windows 2000, XP, and Server 2003 systems, regardless of whether the manufactures allow this option or not. "

For spoofing MAC addresses, meaning your really not changing anything you just Makking it appear to be differen't reguardless.

I talked to someone whos been with Networking/Computers for over 35 Years has his A+, MCSE and other Microsoft Certs, He said that you cannot change the MAC address on a NIC card. If anyone wants the transcript of our chat I can give it to you.

:)

So I have no idea what Chris is talking about.
But I will do what he said then do an IPconfig/all to prove my MAC address on my Onboard DID NOT change.

Edit: Ok Chris, I did what you said, I changed the Network Address to the Address you provided, it dissconnect me from the internet I then did an "ipconfig/all" in cmd prompt, and lo and behold my Physical address (MAC Address) was the same as the day I got my computer.

So in short, No you cannot change your MAC address like I originally stated, However You can use Programs/Software to "Spoof" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom