Hard drive half full??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawnlh

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I need some help please. I just built a new 'puter and it seems something is up. I'll start by listing what I have here:

Asus A8N-E mobo
Seagate 250 gb SATA HD 8mb cache
AMD Athlon 4000+ cpu
OCZ 512 x 2 ram
Asus Nvidia 6600 silencer 256 mb vid card
Lite-on DVD burner and dvd rom
ect. ect.
I'm running XP Pro and have just basic software, drivers, and windows updates installed, everything seems to run smooth and fast.

My question is, when I check the properties on the hard drive (the little pie chart) it says that I'm using 110 gigs??? How is this even possible?? I don't think there is any way I can be using that much space with just the basics installed.
Does anybody know what's up? Please advise.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

odd is it just the pie chart that says this and have you used non windows utilities to see your disk usage.

Tyler1989 said:
odd is it just the pie chart that says this and have you used non windows utilities to see your disk usage.

I justed clicked properties in C: drive to check the chart.

maybe the full capacity of your hdd is not showing, what is the size it says in the chart? go to start, run, type diskmgmt.msc and see the size of it or if you partitioned it wrong

For the 32 bit of Windows XP you need SP1 or SP2 to properly see hard drives over 120 GB and windows cannot see any Linux File Systems at all so it may apear as you have a smaller hard drive than you actually have if these filesystems are present.

I suggest you download a trail of partition magic and look at your partitioning and file systmems.

format it with the xp sp2 disc or make 3 partitions if you don't have that xp disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom