Quick Dumb Question bout Optical Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
Guys, im getting a NEC i think, DVD+RW...yadiyadiyada, basically all in one. But i also want to be able to COPY CDS/DVDS, do i need another burner, or just a reader?

if youll have only 1 drive (a dvd burner that is) youll still be able to copy existing dvds/cds, for cds youll have to copy to hard drive or make a disc image before you burn and for dvds youll need to rip em first , if youll have another drive then youll be able to copy from cd to an empty cd on the burner (drive to drive) but the dvd part wont change youll still have to rip em , anyway its better to make disc images/copy to hd cuz when burning from drive to drive theres always a risk that the burn will fail , so you can get along just fine with 1 drive but its a good idea to buy a dvd-rom for reading/ripping dvds/cds as the burner will likely last longer that way , liteon dvd-roms are very fast rippers

oh i thought it was considered a DVD CD, can u recommend one from any of those sites, im not good wit drives.

jeremy are you sure that even if you have a dvd-rom and a dvd-burner you'll still need to burn an image to disk?!

i kinda dont want to order online.......those stores are close to where i live so i can pik em up. its not like in america, in canada we have to pay for shipping + 15% tax, and the cost just skyrockets.

aliasaid said:
jeremy are you sure that even if you have a dvd-rom and a dvd-burner you'll still need to burn an image to disk?!
you meant make an image to hard drive and then burn , i think you misunderstood it a bit . i said when having both drives its possible to make a drive to drive copy (directly copying the cd to an empty disc on the burner) you dont have to make a disc image/copy to hard drive the cd when having both drives but its recommended as its plain bad to make a drive to drive copy due to high risk of the burn process to fail

john3 said:
i kinda dont want to order online.......those stores are close to where i live so i can pik em up. its not like in america, in canada we have to pay for shipping + 15% tax, and the cost just skyrockets.
LG is about the only dvd-rom choice on those stores you mentioned and after reading in various forums i'd say LG drives have pretty bad reliablity/longtivity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom