One printer, Two computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_PC

In Runtime
How would i go about setting up a system where i can use one printer for two computers(in a different room, both using XP). Wireless or wired would be fine. I have a wireless router but that only uses ethernet so i dont know if that is any use?
What equiptment etc would i need?

PS: the printer uses a USB connection.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks!

hook up your printer to your system. It doesnt matter which connection is uses, whether it's serial, paralell, or USB.

In the printer settings, find the printer. Right-click on it, and click "sharing". When you get the dialog box, click "share this printer". You can give it a special name, if you like.

Make sure you have no firewalls on, they will block the printer!
This is VERY important!

Make sure you have everything set-up correctly in the Network Connections.

here are a few pictures to guide you through the process:

printer.jpg

sharingdialog.jpg

So i can use my wireless wouter? As far as i understand i should have my printer conected to a computer which is connected to the wirless router, then from my other computer i go through the new printer thing and i will be able to print?

Will it matter if the printer is connected to a computer which has to go though a wireless connection?

Ill try and draw a diagram to help explain if you need it.

yes, you can have the wireless computer hooked up to the printer...

and NO, you can not use a computer that is on wireless and have it as the main printer.

Basicly ill have a main(Family computer) computer which i was planning to put on wireless and have the printer connected to) and MY gaming computer which i was going to have wired to the router for better performance.

So what you saying is i need to put my gaming PC on wireless and then make the family PC wired to the router with the printer connected to it?

Will i see any performance decresae in games from using a wireless connection(Higher ping etc) because it wont be that difficult to make both computers wired to the router.(The reason i have the wireless is for a PSP)

Thanks a lot for your help, its very much appreciated!

make both computer's wired, or put the family computer on wireless...they wont notice a difference.

Depending on the wireless card (B or G) the speed will be either 11MB/s or 54MB/s. Ethernet(wired) is 100MB/s.

My wireless connection is wireless G, I would put the family computer on wireless but then ill get complaints because they will have to walk to my computer(upstairs) if they print anything. I think ill have to put both computers on wires.

talldude123 said:
Make sure you have no firewalls on, they will block the printer!
This is VERY important![/B]

please, use a firewall. open your windows firewall settings (if thats what you use) and click the middle tab marked exceptions, and make sure the box next to 'file and printer sharing' is checked. that way your firewall will stay on, but you can still use the shared services.

ZeikHunter said:
please, use a firewall. open your windows firewall settings (if thats what you use) and click the middle tab marked exceptions, and make sure the box next to 'file and printer sharing' is checked. that way your firewall will stay on, but you can still use the shared services.

if you are under a router, it has built-in firewall. And firewalls block file-sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom