my pc does'nt like cd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry18

Daemon Poster
how come when i connect up my second cd drive when windows is loading it screws up and just hangs while the blue bar goes anlong the screen?

specs are:

xp home sp2
p4 northwood 2.8 @ 3.4ghz
asusp4p800se mobo
10k 74gb raptor
7.2k 160gb hdd
dvd rw
500w smart power psu
ati 9700 pro 128mb

do you have it hooked up to the same ide cable as your hdd? if so, set the jumpers on the drive to slave...

exactly same thing happened on my system w/ only 1 dvd drive connected. its even set to master. i just took it out from secondary boot device in BIOS and it fixed. especially any unbootable cd/dvd in the drive makes windows not want to start up. even my system HD is set as the primarily start up disk. so right now, in BIOS, theres only my system HD as a bootable disk. no secondary or other boot options enabled.

Say you buy a pc of the shelf, and it doesnt come with a dvd rw, to install one, it is just screw it in place and plug it in to power and ide, right?

i think he is doing that, but im pretty sure its either a bad cable or incorrect jumper settings, but on the other hand the drive could be bad. is there any chance you can test the drive in a different pc? also windows could freeze starting up if there is a disk in the drive(had that prob this mornin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom